Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tumbling marble  (Read 2839 times)

Mako My Day

Tumbling marble
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:09:26 PM »

So, I tumbled some marble that we found outside of El Paso. It smoothed out nicely, but when I completed the polish tumbling, it is very dull. When it’s wet, it has very vibrant colors, but as it dries, it’s dull city. Any suggestions on how to get a good shine? Thanks

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Tumbling marble
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »

Is the marble mixed with hard and soft areas or are you tumbling it with any other material?  If there are any pockets for grit to hide that will mess up your polish run.  Include a pic of the marble so we can see what you are working with.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »

I assume you are using a rotary tumbler.The aggressiveness of the tumbler is too much for the stone. For shaping aggressiveness is fine but for a polish  slowing the tumbler down and critically adding a buffer in with the rocks is crucial. Many people use plastic pellets to cushion the rocks from one another. Lowering the ph can help with any stone ( or raising it radically) but it is especially helpful with any calcite base stone.Use lots of plastic pellets and do the stones in two batches and use vinegar instead of water with the polish.

Mako My Day

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:14 AM »

Using a vibratory tumbler, only the same material in the tumbler, seems like there is mixed material in each stone

Mako My Day

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:53 AM »

Picture 2 when stone is wet

Rustycat

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »

Here's a Youtube link that I found informative and if you haven't viewed it yet, I'd recommend it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrl30hGrzQ4

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »

If the harder layers are beating up the softer areas you have to buff it by hand. Fabuluster on a muslin buff works. You may never get  a wet looking polish on the soft areas. Are the harder areas taking a better finish?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.