Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lortone Panther 14 quit feeding  (Read 1529 times)

normrp

Lortone Panther 14 quit feeding
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »

Hi all,

Started cutting a rock today and after about 2 inches of cut the feed quit. Tomorrow we will be taking the carriage out to see if anything is wrong under there.

The motor is turning fine and the set screws on the feed shaft collars are tight. I am thinking maybe the half nut spring is not working properly or ???

Have any of you experienced this or have any suggestions on what to check?

Thank you,

Norm

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Lortone Panther 14 quit feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 04:34:47 AM »

Does the sled pull back from the blade easily when you give up on the cut (i.e. is it wedged against the blade)? Are your guide supports clean or gunked up causing obstacles?  Is there a way to put additional force on the feed dog (clamp or rubber band) to see if the spring weakness is the issue.  When in doubt try to cut a softer or smaller rock and watch for signs of similar behavior.  When this happens its almost always resistance/friction or lack of grip at the feed dog junction.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

normrp

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »

Does the sled pull back from the blade easily when you give up on the cut (i.e. is it wedged against the blade)? Are your guide supports clean or gunked up causing obstacles?  Is there a way to put additional force on the feed dog (clamp or rubber band) to see if the spring weakness is the issue.  When in doubt try to cut a softer or smaller rock and watch for signs of similar behavior.  When this happens its almost always resistance/friction or lack of grip at the feed dog junction.

It is not wedged against the blade, the sled pulls back easily. The guide supports are not gunked up.

Great idea on adding more force to the feed dog. I will give that a try.

Thank you.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 06:55:29 AM »

How's the blade? Look at it with a little magnification.

A friend of ours started having that problem and found his notched-rim blade was getting close to where the rim was bonded to the core.

If you have a continuous or segmented rim blade the edge could be getting rounded.

Either condition will slow the blade down, or even stop it as the surface area against the blade increases.

Also be on the lookout for sludge buildup in the cut. I get that sometimes when I'm slow to change the oil on our LS-14 drop saw.

normrp

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24:20 AM »

How's the blade? Look at it with a little magnification.

A friend of ours started having that problem and found his notched-rim blade was getting close to where the rim was bonded to the core.

If you have a continuous or segmented rim blade the edge could be getting rounded.

Either condition will slow the blade down, or even stop it as the surface area against the blade increases.

Also be on the lookout for sludge buildup in the cut. I get that sometimes when I'm slow to change the oil on our LS-14 drop saw.

Thanks.

Never would have thought of that. It is a continuous rim blade and is worn down to the core in a couple of spots. It is the blade original to the saw and we bought the saw second hand.

Any ideas on the best blade to buy? The majority of what we cut is agate.

P.S. Just searched and the MK303 blade seems to be recommended.

Felicia

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

Someone be got good use out of that blade, but it's a goner. Have fun with your new one. Mk blades are good

normrp

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »

Someone be got good use out of that blade, but it's a goner. Have fun with your new one. Mk blades are good

:thumbsup:

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

Reading the replies some are talking about the blade stopping or not cutting but the original comment was that the feed had stopped.  A stopped feed is most likely the half nut threads are gone.  The feed rod will still turn but not advance the sled like you mentioned.  If the blade stopped cutting but the feed was still working it would simply bend the blade till it folds or cuts into the arbor etc...   Sounded to me like half nut issue.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »

Hey Norm. If your blade is worn that much it might still cut a little - or still cut soft materials. Older, worn split nuts or weak springs can let the drive slip if there's that much resistance from trying to cut with a worn out blade.

We just put a 301 on our Frantom, and our friend who had issues like yours also got a 301. He really liked it. Since there's no segmented rim 303 for the 14" saws you would probably also like the 301.

normrp

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:49 AM »

Reading the replies some are talking about the blade stopping or not cutting but the original comment was that the feed had stopped.  A stopped feed is most likely the half nut threads are gone.  The feed rod will still turn but not advance the sled like you mentioned.  If the blade stopped cutting but the feed was still working it would simply bend the blade till it folds or cuts into the arbor etc...   Sounded to me like half nut issue.

That is where we got to also since it is not feeding with no load on it.

Thank you.

normrp

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »

Hey Norm. If your blade is worn that much it might still cut a little - or still cut soft materials. Older, worn split nuts or weak springs can let the drive slip if there's that much resistance from trying to cut with a worn out blade.

We just put a 301 on our Frantom, and our friend who had issues like yours also got a 301. He really liked it. Since there's no segmented rim 303 for the 14" saws you would probably also like the 301.

We were also thinking it was the split nut.
Thank you for the blade recommendation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 47 queries.