Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest geological guides  (Read 1848 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
Southwest geological guides
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:17 AM »

I am currently near Las Vegas, and am starting to look at things to do later this spring and into Summer.   Are there any decent guides to locations in the south western states?  Obviously I'd like to keep travel time minimal, but I still would like to know what is around.

Also, many years back I remember someone saying that somewhere in either Nevada or California (maybe?) you could find Rainbow Obsidian.  Is that accurate?

OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

bobby1

Re: Southwest geological guides
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

Rainbow obsidian comes from Davis Creek in the far northeastern corner of California, north of Alturas. I've been there numerous times in the last 40 years. I use it to make cabs of catseye obsidian. The catseye is made by utilizing the features in a single color layer.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 30 queries.