Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makita PW5001C grinder / polisher, cutting wheels ????  (Read 362 times)

55fossil

Makita PW5001C grinder / polisher, cutting wheels ????
« on: October 13, 2022, 03:36:00 PM »

Well.... I purchased this wet grinder a few years back and have now decided to finally use it. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has one and knows what grinding and polishing wheels work well with it. Also, the water connector to the device is suppose to be "common" as in you can get a fitting anywhere. Bull Puckey, even my Makita dealer in Portland does not stock them. So, any info about using this great tool would be appreciated.
    I am looking at face polishing some large, scenic picture jasper rough. I need to start with a very coarse diamond to tear off the face and then go through to polishing grits.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Makita PW5001C grinder / polisher, cutting wheels ????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 04:00:50 PM »

Kingsley north has a selection of pads and wheels for them and sells them as well.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »

Maybe the biggest variety of those products here:

https://www.defusco.com/product-category/diamond-products/diamond-polishing-pads/

I've never used a wet grinder, or any of these products, but have bought several blades from this guy. He sells on eBay and Amazon, too, so you can read reviews there if you want. My buying experiences have all been great.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »

As for the water connection fitting, try McMaster-Carr. If I understood your post correctly, you are missing the fitting that screws into the grinder on one endm and accepts tubing or hose on the other end. Determine the thread size and type, and go from there on McMaster website. They are great when it comes to filtering many options and sizes for the product you need.

I suggest push-to-connect fittings with 1/4 inch or metric polyurethane tubing.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »

The hose fitting is similar to an air fitting like on a compressor hose. Unfortunately, it is not a standard size. There are a lot of similar fittings that almost work. There is a fitting sold on line that works, which I have ordered. But it is not like the fitting Makita shows in their owners manual. Makita does not appear to sell the fittings they show in the user manual. So, I wondered if anyone has actually got one of these and has found a quality hose fitting. I can simple slide a hose over the fitting and use a 1/2 inch clamp to hold it on... not what I want to do.
   Thanks for any and all input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.