Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post copy: Durability of African Blue Common opal  (Read 1248 times)

ileney

Post copy: Durability of African Blue Common opal
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »

Hi all, I posted this in general rock talk as it's more about durability as there is no play of color involved but then realized it might belong here. I'm unclear where it belongs so apologies for the double post and igonore if you already responded under the prior copy.

Re: https://i.etsystatic.com/16408003/r/il/0da9b0/1881907112/il_794xN.1881907112_hw2k.jpg

Hi all, are you familiar with the blue opal (no color play, but often white, black and gray stripes) coming out of Africa? I recently bought some already thinly cut (because it was cheaper than the wear and tear to do it myself and I can always repolish). They may have been intended for earrings, but I thought how great in infinity style bracelets, going around the arm, encased in sterling bezels. But then I thought opal isn't so hard and threse are pretty thin already before I repolish; you might lean on those bracelets.

What do you think? Can it take normal wear and tear if encased in sterling bezel? Have you seen this material in person? I'm buying online sight unseen. Above is similar to what I bought.

rocks2dust

Re: Post copy: Durability of African Blue Common opal
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »

I've been noticing this same material being sold mislabeled as "Oregon Blue" and "Owyhee Blue" and other blue opal origins (the black is a giveaway that it isn't). I haven't ventured to get a piece to study, however. I'd love to know the actual origin, if anyone knows.

Most all opal can be vulnerable to develop crazing. Some pieces will not, and for those that do, there is no predicting when, why or how that will happen. Can be thermal shock, a knock against something else, or just sitting around.

Opal's more susceptible on a bracelet than in a pendant or similar jewel, but I've also seen some hold up for years on rings (just a vulnerable as a bracelet). You could put them in tall bezels or set below the outer surface of the bracelet to offer some protection. You could also reserve a few pieces of the same size for a couple of years in case the customer comes back wanting a repair.

ileney

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:02 PM »

Yes, maybe I’ll put a couple pieces away. Come to think of it, maybe my best bet is instead of repolishing if I sand down then cap them with clear glass or quartz. That might take care of the crazing issue. I’m not sure where they are coming from. The seller told me “Africa.” That covers a lot of area!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »

This is the first time I'm seeing this particular material. 

ileney, where did you buy it?

I have a small stash of the Owyhee Blue that I've been hoarding for years now and also a large thunderegg of it that is a display because it is too cool to break up and also some Arizona blue that Vince and I hounded ourselves, but this is a new one for me.
Robin

ileney

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »

I bought it on ebay and interestingly, there is another seller selling it too as from Australia, the exact same stuff. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Here's an example of a cheap piece for sale that doesn't look any too stable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-65Cts100-Natural-Australian-Blue-Opal-oval-Cabochon-Loose-Gemstone/264337449490?hash=item3d8bbd6212:g:Wg4AAOSwLZNc4BBc

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:25:14 AM »

Seems like it's all coming out of India.  How unusual (not).  There's also a lot of blue Australian common opal, which I've also not heard about before.  Any of our Aussie members know about blue common opal coming out of Oz?
Robin

ileney

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »

Yeah, they are clearly cutting it in India, but some say it comes from Australia and some say it comes from Africa. Whatever it is, it is clearly all being mined in the same place, not on two separate continents!
I've noticed that stones I order from India are generally decent quality even if they aren't exactly accurately labeled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.