Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a bad idea to build a saw with multiple blades?  (Read 1524 times)

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
Is it a bad idea to build a saw with multiple blades?
« on: March 05, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

Why aren't multi-blade circular saws more common? You could create multiple, uniform and flat slabs in one pass. The only obvious problem I see is the pieces getting jammed between the blades, but this could be avoided by not cutting all the way through the rough.

I see online some examples of large masonry saws of this type, but nothing for lapidary scale (multi-wire saws are a different beast).

Does it sound too crazy/dangerous to try stacking several blades onto an arbor, with proper flanges and spacers, and giving it a try? Will shaft suffer from unacceptable torsional forces?

Kaljaia

Re: Is it a bad idea to build a saw with multiple blades?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »

Someone built one of these to mass-cut opal, not sure if it'd work with harder materials. I will find the link later... or maybe someone described it on this forum or the old one?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »

If it was the Opal cutter who shared his saw with us a couple months ago his saw was with custom flat blades almost like a drag saw miniaturized and with the opal he said the blades were 1mm thick and only lasted one or 2 cuts and this is cutting opal.  The saw was custom made many many years ago.  The sawing made sense as he mentioned he was cutting up to 40k of opal at a time on the machine.  The way the saw worked it appeared that the stones were fixed/glued/dopped? to the base and the blades which were adjustable for thickness were brought down on top of the Opal and as I remember it was a vibratory saw using 600 grit fed from overhead. I believe because it came from overhead it could be stopped at the end of the cut without going thru the base.  He said there are no more blades available but he had a stockpile to keep him and his kids busy going forward.  He was here for only a short time and then went silent.

I think if you made your own machine it would be possible.  The vise/sled or whatever your material was affixed to would be below the bottom edge of your blades and the material would start just at the edge of your blades and as such would have the base support all the way thru the cut not allowing (unless one broke free) to jam up the blades.  I think it you are dealing with thin kerf blades as I would assume you would the flex of the blades might cause issue.  The way the opal cutters saw worked the blades were held taught on both ends keeping them from shifting.

Looked up his post that has pics and descriptions of his machine and the process  "Opal Mike" here on the forum but as I mentioned haven't heard anything from him in some time.  http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=5521.msg41131#msg41131

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »

Yes, I am aware of the reciprocating multi-blade saw described in this forum. It was stated that it could only cut opals, obsidian, variscite, etc. - not harder materials like agates.

There are also multi-wire saws used for dicing ingots of silicon or various ceramics for production of thin wafers for solar cells, microelectronics, and research, but these cost many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, as they provide the precision and throughout ways beyond what a lapidary might be needing.

Back to my original question of multiple saw blades on a shaft - this might be a more affordable, DIY approach to achieving consistent thickness of slabs and saving time when working on intarsia.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »

My 2nd paragraph addressed a shaft design if you read it my apologies.

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 11:00:23 PM »

Thank you, Steve - you make good points as to why it might or might not work.

One day I might give it a try - just a matter of spending several hundreds of dollars on blades, mounting them onto an arbour, and devising some sort of feed system.

charles

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 03:21:05 AM »

Instead of a feed mech. Why not build it as a drop saw? A lot easier I would think.  :icon_scratch:

nrcamo

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:10:41 AM »

Being an old sawmill worker, the sawing system you describe is the same as the Sash Gang saw used in sawing logs. Not the same but you may be able to use it for a reference.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 05:09:12 PM »

I have one that someone built using 10" blades inside of a metal box and I believe there are about 8 or 10 blades on one shaft and it is a drop saw. I cut a few things with it when I first got it then stuff got piled on top of it and I havent played with it since.
I might have to dig it out and play with it some more.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »

That's very encouraging, Tony - thank you! If you ever get to try it again, please share some photos in here.

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »

Bumping this old thread up with an example built in China:

https://youtu.be/JzjQoRJgMW4

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.