Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ID request for black and white banded agate in matrix  (Read 780 times)

Ryaly2dogs

ID request for black and white banded agate in matrix
« on: March 08, 2021, 08:30:04 AM »

I acquired some rough I sliced up and it produced some nice slabs.  It looks similar to Bear Canyon agate in Montana but the matrix seems wrong.  Could it be Wyloo agate or other?  Please help.

Stonemon

Re: ID request for black and white banded agate in matrix
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »

No help on the id but It is really cool.....

Bill

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:39:36 PM »

Looks like Flower Onyx from Utah, I bought some years back.  My friend Pat McMahon has it on his website.  The image on his website is more flowery than most and the material you have looks like what I have which was also the flower Onyx. It was okay quality but I prefer a nice Black Lace for hardness and durability.  In your top pic I can see a lot of the hidden fractures common in this material, if you cut it make sure and fracture seal it first.

from Pats site http://agateswithinclusions.com/wp-content/uploads/flower-onyx_fixed-ED-copy.jpg

From sam silverhawk in the greys like you have http://www.samsilverhawk.com/2009gemstones/11109cabs/onyx.html

Just Google "Utah Flower Onyx" to get your answer

Pic is from my website of the flower Onyx, Mine has more of the cremes and orange but gray is common.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »

Wow, I am inclined to agree with your analysis.  I cannot thank you enough for contributing your substantial knowledge to this forum. 

Eddie P

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »

Also known as flowering tube onyx or even just tube onyx.  Expensive and rare stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.