Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw  (Read 5609 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 07:54:39 AM »

i have no clue of maker, no tags anywhere.
its a 5 gallons oil, 17 inch saw but i put a 20 inch blade on it and added a bottom drain since the prior owner drilled a hole in bottom.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 05:44:16 PM »

Hey there, DC. Have a photo of your handle and split nut assembly.

It's on a 24" saw a lady in the club is selling to pay medical bills. The saw is like new, and you could buy it for $5,000.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 06:57:45 PM »

Hey there, DC. Have a photo of your handle and split nut assembly. It's on a 24" saw a lady in the club is selling to pay medical bills. The saw is like new, and you could buy it for $5,000.

That isn't my split nut assembly on my 18". Its their improved version a couple years after mine was made. ...but it is a good picture though so thanks and besides I already own a 24" Frantom.....Also a 24" Highland Park Saw retails for $4995 BRAND NEW...so thanks for the "bargain" :thumbsup:. Before we start getting off track for this thread this isn't a "for sale" thread.....Its best I feel to take these to PMs next time so some moderator doesn't jump on me........thank you.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »

Crap. I just posted it 'cuz I thought that was the setup you had.

No worries about the mods here.

Finally, I'd buy this saw or any one of yours for the same money before I'd buy a new "import".

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 02:16:03 AM »

Crap. I just posted it 'cuz I thought that was the setup you had. No worries about the mods here. Finally, I'd buy this saw or any one of yours for the same money before I'd buy a new "import".

Vince......everything is good.....appreciate the pic and help and you're welcome to post anytime. Its when you mentioned it for sale is when I felt the need to intervene. Being new I don't know the mods here and some on other forums I have been on can be Nazi control freaks amongst other unpleasant things which I no longer post on or even visit anymore because of it. So my apologies if it was taken wrong.

I'll soon have the entire cartridge and vice removed for cleaning/restoring and have better pics of Frantoms' "tube style" spit nut version they first used.  I've also since been corresponding with a fellow at Diamond Pacific and found nothing wrong with mine which I thought was broken but according to them its suppose to look that way and soon after went to the design shown in your pic you posted......I have been restoring machines, tools and mechanisms from all trades for several decades and its always helpful to learn some of their history.......so always learning. 

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 08:59:02 AM »

This IS a great thread for any first-time Frantom owners - like I was.

Looking back at the photo of the handle on your "tube style" split nut, the photos of mine and Jhon's, and the "new and improved" one on the saw the lady in our club has, I see the progression of the designs.

I don't quite understand how the later design - with less material in the split nut - is an improvement. Unless it was to allow for adding inserts the way they're made (or reproduced) now when they wear out to the point where tapping is no longer an option.

Now I know the saw we have is later than yours, but earlier than the ones that don't have the tube style split nut. The upper-right corner of the nameplate on mine was torn off, so I've always wondered about the age and model number. This thread has helped a lot.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:42 PM »

Well finally located a 5/8-11 NC Die locally to finish cleaning up the threads on the vice adjusting block and T-Handle. I love these hexagon dies..makes it easier to hold many different ways to ease using in these situations if need be. Now all there is left to to with this part is make and install a new cross handle. I still have plans on going out of town and picking up parts I need I can't get here so that will be added to my list.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:36 AM »

Any updates on your parts search?

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »

Something I discovered earlier but hadn't mention yet till I could get clear pics of it.......this model Frantom uses an old "tube" style split nut on the vice advance feed. Still in good shape but the handle was broke off....at least it looks broken off. This is one of the reasons to locate someone with the same model saw so I had access to one to compare with and get reference pics and measurements if needed.....assuming that person will cooperate with me. Most likely I'll have to fabricate a new handle....which is all it really needs and assuming it is broken. I have checked with Highland Parks parts thru a guy at Pacific Diamond and their upgrade spit nut assembly doesn't fit this older model saw. They do have a split nut that does in case I need it but I think I can fix this one without going to that extra expense.......doesn't hurt to have back up plans. I still need to call Cigar Box too. This is why I do alot of research way before tackling a machine.

That handle isnt broken, thats just the way they were made.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

That handle isnt broken, thats just the way they were made. Tony 

Thanks but already found that out long ago...........Just hadn't posted or gotten back to that part yet.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »

Any updates on your parts search?

Mr Vince......hadn't gone anywhere or forgotten about this...... just had other priorities to take care of. Took the arbor apart the other day and ordered all the replacement bearings I needed from a local distributor. I also went out of my way to get the same exact manufacturer's bearings that were made by "Sealmaster" , still available (and expensive too) instead of going on the cheap with Chinese made replacements. Common sense and logic told me that if the old original bearings lasted over 50 years of use these should do the same.....or most likely need replacements way after I'm dead and buried. These showed no sign of ever having been replaced.
I also drove out of town during my absence and bought some bar stock from a great metal supply to replace the t-handle I still need to make, plus pick up some hard to find large bolts to fabricate something I'll show later. I have reasons for the ways I do everything.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »

That's great. Doing it right will pay big dividends.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2021, 01:46:51 AM »

Hello...just popped in here just to let interested parties know that for right now this project is at a stand still till probably winter. Summer here this year is unusually brutal with temperatures exceeding 110 - 120 degrees and I just can't work on anything outside especially in my shop which can be a hellish oven during the day. So for right now I stay indoors with the AC running up my bills and not going anywhere I don't have to since the AC in my car also decided to quit and can't afford to fix it for the third time. I'll continue this once I can tolerate going outside for more them a short time without risking a heat stroke.(GOD I hate the desert and wish I could afford to move east).

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »

Still here.......cooling off soon. I went to a close by Rock Show last weekend and picked up a nice Moonstone Sphere and Ammonite. I'll post a pic of it once I figure out where to post it.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2021, 07:01:52 AM »

Yep - cooler in the saw shop here as well. Will be looking into parts for our old Frantom, too.

Will try again to remove the arbor drive pulley (without cutting it off) to swap the feed drive pulley out for a smaller one.

Looking forward to seeing your rock show finds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 55 queries.