Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Richardson Ranch Hi-Speed Sander Rebuild - sanding pad replacement?  (Read 1037 times)

rockherder

Hello All,
I've been really enjoying reading all the articles and impressed how helpful everyone is.
I picked up a used Richardson Ranch Sander about a year ago and finally had a chance to start rebuilding it.
The sander appears to have been left out in the elements and the wooden stand is totally useless(listing and joints groan and move when I pick it up).
The motor appears to run very well but the sanding pad is shot.
The pad seems to be rusted on the motor shaft and I've been able to remove the old set screws but I'm not sure if it rotates off or if I should try to pull it off with a pully puller.  Any ideas?

-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

Slabbercabber

Re: Richardson Ranch Hi-Speed Sander Rebuild - sanding pad replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »

A puller will destroy the disc.  Try soaking in Kroil or a mixture of acetone and ATF.  Attach a two piece shaft collar behind the disc to push against and use screwdrivers as wedges between them.  Do not beat on it as this will damage the motor bearings.

rockherder

Re: Richardson Ranch Hi-Speed Sander Rebuild - sanding pad replacement?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »

Thanks Slabbercabber.  I knew better than beating on the shaft or otherwise damaging the bearings.
What I couldn't determine was if a pully puller would work or if the pad was screwed on.

I called the folks at Richardson Ranch and they were helpful.
The motor shaft has an adapter collar connected by two set screws.
The sanding pad screws up and on the adapter in a CCW direction.
A pipe wrench and a pair of pliers and the pad is free.
I've connected a hook and loop pad and I'm back in business.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 30 queries.