Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Toy!  (Read 5756 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
My New Toy!
« on: January 03, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »

Just one of the toys I got with my $1000 FMG gift certificate!
Now I can try my hand at tumbling!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: My New Toy!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »

Nice, we should send you drilled pieces to tumble

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

That is a very good idea. Do you agree Amanda?

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »

Thank you!  I have tons of tiny slabbettes here to tumble in a box I have of stuff from Michael Hoover.  Though I have never drilled rock before so I should probably practice drilling worthless yard pebbles before I go drilling good stuff..

That said, yeah I could go for pre-drilled stuff to tumble!  Would be fun!   :thumbsup: :toothy10: :occasion14:

My tumbler is a 3lb, so it's small.  I got it for two reasons - to tumble polish metal clay pieces, and to tumble rock into pretty beads! 
It's first use will be polishing metal clay since I am down to under a month left before the next contest deadline for FMG, and this one is the metals contest.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »

Excellent!  I would make one suggestion and that would be to purchase another barrel and keep the rock tumbling and jewelry polishing ones separate.  Some stray grit from rock tumbling could really wreak havoc with polishing your jewelry.

Here's a great book on tumble polishing jewelry that's relatively inexpensive:  http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Mokume-Gane-Tumbling-Photography-Design-Shop-Saftey/Tumble-Finishing-For-Handmade-Jewelry-Mass-Finishing-On-A-Small-Scale-By-Judy-Hoch.html
Robin

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »

Hubby won't let me buy another barrel right now.  That said the first use will be with metal clay pieces.  After that I may just relegate it to simply rock use.  All depends on how I like the resulting finish on the metal clay pieces.  Until I have a job of my own, or I actually manage to sell some pieces on my online store, I have no real money of my own to work with to buy things.  I have to rely on the household account where Hubby's pay goes and he has been flipping out lately about money.  Though I'm a bit uncertain as to WHY he's been flipping out as he has a good paying job, and I'm not spending his money like water either...(Though I'm sure the $5000 we've shelled out in my medical bills to the Homeopathic doctor that is helping me get better that insurance isn't covering hasn't helped his overview of the financial situation any...)

So if I use it for both I will just wash the heck out of the barrel between tumblings until I can grab a second barrel.

As it is he'd flip right now if he knew I was making an offer on a woman's closeout of half her bead store as she is expanding her pet care line and getting rid of most of her beads, so I asked her what she wanted on her Czech seed beads and she said $40-$45 a kilo and I said I'd be game for two kilos.  That he will go into orbit over if he finds out about!  I may have to hide it on my Discover card since he doesn't get that bill, I do.

sealdaddy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »

When he loosens up the purse strings...LOL
I would really recommend a vibrator type tumbler...they are 10 times faster than rolling tumblers.
I know Frank uses them.  Here is a smaller good brand one, with extras:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Raytech-Tumble-Vibe-TV-5-Vibrating-Rock-Tumbler-Kit/19341595?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=19341595&placement_id=irs-106-m2&strategy=SMT&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=450e6ba1-f015-4c0b-8b2d-5524f5d6ddee&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=19395629&parent_anchor_item_id=19395629&guid=9fe1d4e3-e281-4f76-90d9-49bb98634141&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Here's a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZhW4LIkDGo

Before cutting (to discover what rocks looked like inside), I was a true "vibrator" LOL...I own a 5, 10 and 18 pound Raytech models, with multiple bowls to not contaminate next step batches.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »

When he loosens up the purse strings...LOL

I don't see that happening till I am physically working again.  I have this distinct women's intuition vibe going that says hubby is fretting because he is socking away cash in savings in case we end up doing an emergency move back to Canada, and he's putting a lot into the account each month.  I could be wrong on that assumption but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was doing that.  With the current political climate down here in AZ, even though Peter is here legally, we do fear for his safety.  The fact we fear for his safety shows what a sad state of affairs it is down here for an immigrant.  I think the only reason he has been left alone so far is that he is able to blend with the "majority religion," in our area here.

Anyways I am soon going to be out looking for work as I am finally getting better and am seeing more days where I may be able to finally hold down a job again.  So here's to hoping and praying I find something that pays decently where I can work part time for now until I get myself back into the swing of things again.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »

Harbor freight tools has inexpensive barrels that will fit!

i would like to get a vibrating tumbler for polishing brass casings for my old military surplus rifles and hunting rifle.
Also for jewelry i will make in the future.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

Harbor freight tools has inexpensive barrels that will fit!

This is good to know.   Thanks!

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:47:08 AM »

Reloading supply places usually have vibratory tumblers on sale and way cheaper than buying from a lapidary supplier.  I have one I bought years ago for 40 bucks or so that still is working like a champ. I use it for jewelry, not rocks, but it is sturdy and would have no problem with rocks if I chose to tumble some. 
Robin

sealdaddy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »

Take it from someone who was both an avid shooter/reloader and rock polisher.  I have both rolling and vibrating ones.   Brass, metal polishing vibrators use very light dry medium, crushed walnut shells or corn cob, etc...by volume, about 3/4 medium to 1/4 brass, etc.

One of the problems with those tumblers and rocks, is the volume needed to get the tumbling action working properly.  The bowl needs to be at least 1/2 full.  Rocks by volume are far heavier than the same volume of brass casings mixed with dry medium.

Another problem is motor sizes and materials the bowls are made of.  In general, motors on metal polishing units are not near powerful enough to get the required action on a bowl of rocks.  Also the bowls are
generally made of thinner and more flimsy than rock tumbling bowls and wear out much faster.

The Lyman brass reloading tumbler may be the exception on sturdy bowl construction, but the motor is far too under powered to work with a bowl of rock, 1/2 full.  The Harbor Freight bowl is massive but flimsy thin plastic. The motor would be powerful enough if you mounted a smaller rock tumbling bowl on it...but that's not cost effective.

Y'all may not agree with me, but that is what years of experience has taught me.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »

I have a Lyman, but I don't tumble rocks.  I just use it for jewelry.  Never had a problem with SS shot, water and burnishing liquid in there and I've had it for years now.   :dontknow:
Robin

sealdaddy

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »

Then she should try it.
All I know is that rocks are much heavier than water and take a pretty powerful motor to roll them.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »

Randy I got a vibe tumbler from harbor freight last year never used. You can have it if you want.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 56 queries.