Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to irockhound and his Condor Agate cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

All new members, just an FYI -- we are moving to a new server so there is a slight possibility you may have to re-register, not much possibility but a slight chance. if you are accidently left out of the move, please re-join. we are moving to a new hosting with better services. The move should be glitch free, but glitch free doesnt always happen 100%. Randy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to get your fix (rough suppliers)  (Read 1675 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Where to get your fix (rough suppliers)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »

Thanks for the info, Mike.  It's good to hear straight from the "horse's mouth" so to speak.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »

Thank you for that info, Mike.  I suspect that, hopefully, the market for finished products will also respond to the changes eventually.  With prices of rough going up, maybe he prices on finished will go up as well.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

Bluetangclan

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »

Since this is still on page 1 I think its ok to reply to this old thread since info is still pertinent.

Has anyone ordered off of www.opalauctions.com? I have been surfing around in the rough sections and saw some possibly interesting parcels. Usually from the pics on the low cost parcels I see one or two stones that look promising in most of them. I haven't compared them to village smithy opals  for general prices but the parcels don't seem too crazy in price.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »

Opals have always been a problem, as in I want more.  When the prices go up as they are now I go the opposite direction.  I look at the synthetic or man made opals that are often very reasonable.  When I used to teach I would recommend this material when people were learning how to cut a soft material.  I saw a lot of opal going down the drain when people first start cutting a softer stone.  My favorite opal, the brazilian opal is hardly available.
Steve

finegemdesigns

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »

i absolutely love working opals, but, they are really expensive and i cant afford the nicer large pieces so i am boycotting opals.

lol

Bluetangclan

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »

I am trying different vendors on opal auction, now waiting for arrival. Ordered some parcels of cober pedy and lightning ridge from VSO. Both arrived fairly quickly and had some good stuff in them. I guess as parcels it was a mixed bag, I am still looking at them and trying to figure out how to work several of the pieces. Got a nice bright chuck of coober, probably at least a 4, came out great except a yellow line halfway across the stone in the matrix  :angry: . Got some more girdled and relatively cleaned on the bench for when I finish the current batch up. I work in batches by the way, its simpler that way for smaller rocks to me. I'll post a pic on its own thread when I get around to it.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »

Looking foward to seeing your pictures!
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

Steve is a neat guy and very friendly, I like buying from him.

ileney

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

Bluetangcaln, please post pictures of the lightning ridge and other rough. I am curious.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »

Unfortunately I have gone through and precut or girdled most of the CP stuff. One very large chunk I am going to cut in half even, from memory I think it had two thick layers of fire in it. I think most of the LR is still in rough form though. I tend to be spastic when working on rough grabbing a piece from this bag, a piece from that.

I have gotten mixed bag from SEDA on opal auctions. A couple things were decent to good, especially the boulder and a particular CP rough chunk. The LR stuff I got was not very good, mostly very small and clear, although there were a couple take-aways I can use. Most of the small stuff is too small to even waste the time turning them into doublets or triplets although I might do just that for practice since I have only made a few so far. Ill have to see if they have better color against a black background.

Really bad about taking pics. I have some stuff I really want to take pics off but still trying to get my camera to do it without them just being white chucks. In the thread on the subject someone mentioned doing it in water so I will give that a try.

Definitely get what you pay for. I bought a cheapish 200ct opal parcel from TG Opals on ebay. That was a bust. I think he scraped the bottom of his storage bucket and sent them as there was a lot of tiny bits for the most part. Might be one or two very small rocks I can even use. But if just one of them works out and I can sell it for $25 I will have made my money back so I guess I cant complain too much heheh.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.