Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nethers farm  (Read 1968 times)

Back

Nethers farm
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »

Hi All

Here are some pics of slabs I cut from our visit there.

Bless
Shawn

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Nethers farm
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »

Shawn, those slabs are great!  The variation and color is really unique.  I need to compliment your pictures.  Your photography skills have gotten way better in a really short period of time.  Kudos!   :occasion14:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »

Roger that! We just got some pieces of Ohio Flint in a mixed box of rough. I hope some of ours is even close to yours.

gjones

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »

Looks like very nice material.  Thanks for sharing!

Back

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for the input. I have to say that some of this material just blows my mind. I have only cut 1 cab out of this material and I entered it in the contest. I came home with 106 lbs of rock from chips up to 15lbs pieces. The first cab I am sure I picked it and only got 3 small slabs out of it. Most of the material was picked by my wife and kids. I told them anything you think is pretty put it in a pile.

Robin
Thanks for saying that my pic taking is getting better I think that it is just the quality of the material showing. Hope that you all look at what you have you have some good stuff in that box. If not I would like to send you all a slab so you can see it with your eye's so I can get some more feed back.

Bless
Shawn

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »

Can't say this is from the same area, but it was labeled Ohio Flint in our mystery box from Slabbercabber. Got four slices from the one small piece of rough. Still have 3-4 more small chunks in there to slab. We like it so far...!

Back

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »

Hi Vince

I would not be surprised that it came from Nethers farm. My understanding it is one of the few places that you can collect this material without breaking the law. I still have a lot to learn. So far I have only cut 1 cab and to me it is high quality. I have cut enough slabs that the lighter colors on the skin is not produced any really good material.

Cant wait to see your cab. I bet it takes a high shine.

In the pic the bottom left good slab before it lost color. A different rock is going in the saw next.

Bless
Shawn

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »

Thanks for the tip about the skin giving clues about what might (or might not) be underneath. We had not cut any of this, or even heard of Nethers farm before the threads about your trip. You probably educated others too.

Bottom-left slab is nice! The yellow in ours covered more area in the other two slabs from that rock. Looks like lots of variety in what you find in that rough.

Back

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »

Well I am a winter cabber. Now that warm weather is here I have little time. Now that I have a saw that likes warm weather I can at least cut some slabs when I am working on the other side of my shop.

All of the "good" slabs that came off the same rock as the one in the bottom left I have set aside. To me they are the most most mind blowing stuff that I have ever seen.

When I have time I will keep you all updated.

Bless
Shawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.