Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calm down guys !  (Read 2562 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Calm down guys !
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »

Good Earth got nosy with the excavator we had here for ditching yesterday and reached into my barn  and lifted out my 24 inch saw. It runs fine  but needs some paint after living in a rain forest for decades. Gergis and he are a bit over excited about getting cutting with it but it has  caused mixed emotions in me. I do not miss the never ending chore of advancing the saw , listening for the sound of it struggling or dealing with  the eventually repulsive smell of Almag the cutting oil of the day. In the pre EPA days the rockhounds out here would always try to save money and many would use old transformer oil  thereby bathing themselves in pcb's. Yea it changes your dna but you can save a few bucks. Another depressing answer that was often heard as the solution to virtually every need, used rv anti- freeze. I have no doubt some bathed in it as it was touted in farmyards as the miracle fluid. I use mineral oil on my mule occasionally  as am happy that it is now the accepted cutting fluid but I fear transformer oil may make a comeback yet.I look at their youthful enthusiasm ( if you look past  the prematurely grey and balding aspects of these youngsters they are young to me as I began cutting before they were born ) and wonder if I can revive a bit of that enthusiasm  for my saw collection.They crawl around and find  different old ones about every day.No they are not for sale but the monster saw may make a decent casket for a greybeard if we can get that excavator back when the day comes. Enjoy your equipment but don't let it stop you from cutting in different ways . If you can never afford what you think you need use your imagination and maybe you can make beautiful things with equipment that you can afford. Keep it fun.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
Re: Calm down guys !
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:15 AM »

Time to get that baby humming again!
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »

Oh man, I can see why they're excited!  Saw love!   :WEEEE:
Robin

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »

Ohh its humming! Runs incredibly quiet!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:05:52 PM »

Is it 220v and if so are they all 220v?  I picked one up from a friend when it was still running and didn't have 220 at my house.  I have had it 10 years and never fired it up lol.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »

The 220 applies only to the motor which can be easily replaced with a 110.  However, a large percentage of such motors are dual voltage.  Check the motor data plate for wiring instructions.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »

It's 110.

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »

That's a monster of a rock saw.   I remember being bothered by the noise when I had the saw that I used in 2010.  I decided after a bit that I would only use it if I didn't have the option to buy pre-cut slabs.   lol
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »

Thanks for that info.  Mine has 2 power cords off it so I assumed they had jerry rigged the 220 but after hearing the motors might be switching could one be 110 and one 220.  I think they had the same plugs and I think 220 has a different plug configuration doesn't it.  I will have to look closer at the plugs themselves and get the info off the motor.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

I was just getting a small saw running again and decanting Almag for the first time in years.  It has not changed in smell at all.  The good thing is, that if it is spilled, it cleans easily.  Guess I'll be running with windows open.

cabjunky

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »

220 will have a different configuration on the plug.  If it wont fit in a standard outlet its no wired for 110.  Some 20 amp plugs that are 110 have one of the top two blades turned 90 degrees to the other.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 04:33:15 AM »

The motor cannot be wired for dual voltage simultaneously.  If the cords are different voltage plugs, look for a switch to change between the two.  If you plug one in and it does not run, unplug right away as the wrong voltage will overheat the windings.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »

I was thinking it was 2 110 plugs but the saw is at the house we were going to remodel till the city stopped us so my new 25 x 25 shop is on hold.  I'll have to check the saw next time I go down there but pretty sure it didn't have the curved plugs mentioned that 220 uses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 48 queries.