Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graveyard Point  (Read 1073 times)

Sandsave

Graveyard Point
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »

Took one day out of our McDermit trip to go graveyard point. This is material from the backfill of the claim. Jhon and I had some good luck as they had opened the claim up the week before we arrived. I'm not sure what it's called. I posted a very similar material in the ID section and it was identified as Horse Canyon. (If someone knows what it called for sure please reply.)

I can't imagine the material they're getting out of the claim if this is considered backfill material.

4" I took a close up so you can see the action going on.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Graveyard Point
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »

Stunning!   :WEEEE:
Robin

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »

That's really somthing!! I need to get mine in the machine.
You can call it crazy moss agate. They were crazy to throw it in the dump pile!
I think the piece I have will be about 5"
Between working 6 days a week and helping with a new roof on the house I don't have much time.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »

I take it you are talking about Gene Mueller's claim. I was out there to visit with Eugene while he was digging this year. I purchased some top grade material from him and paid the whopping 50 cents per pound required for digging in his piles. So, if it came off his claim it is still Graveyard Plume Agate. That is what he calls it when he sells it and it comes in hundreds of different colors and patterns. He found some great pinks and red's this year which are posted on his site. Just google  The Gem Shop Inc.  And yes, Gene intentionally leaves tons of rough in the tailings for rock hounds. He does ask that you call or go on line and get a permit to collect on his PRIVATE CLAIM. His charge is 50 cents a pound on the honor system. Looking at your sphere I think that is pretty fair pricing.
beautiful sphere as usual and very unique for GP.

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »

I thought maybe it might have different name, he did leave some nice material behind. We all submitted for permission slips, Jhon was the only one to receive one back. I have a check sitting on my desk at work (awaiting daltons contribution) I just figured I would send it in anyway with or without permission.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »

Nice idea.  They are always pleased when people do the right thing. My check was $128 and I only wish I spent more time collecting and not yapping with Eugene. He would probably agree....   None of mine look like your sphere.

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »

The typical plume agate was small and you had to do a lot of hunting and moving rock. We did find some red jasper but it looks like it may be a little porous.  I still need to mail my check, been kinda busy lately but I haven't forgot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 36 queries.