Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Van Gogh; new jasper from SW BC  (Read 5345 times)

Sandsave

Re: Van Gogh; new jasper from SW BC
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »

Nice looking! I see awesome spheres!

edgarscale

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »

i see pictures from the first set posted but none afterwards. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »

I also only see the first set of pics. Tried in Firefox and IE.

Did see the big tree by following the direct link to your album.

Itsandbits

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »

thanks everyone, anything I post from now on I'll add a direct link so all can see it
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Windenzee

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »

Regretfully I can not see any of the images

Itsandbits

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »

Regretfully I can not see any of the images

rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

55fossil

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »

Since many people (like myself) read this forum to gain an understanding of rock I would like a bit of clarification. You state this is from mineral sediments in the ocean but now I see you state  "ocean basaltic flow material " for formation of this jasper. I know of materials like this that were formed with ocean sediments that were then shoved deep in the earth and mixed with volcanic materials and underwent massive transformation. These deposits were then forced to the surface after subduction and called Plutonic material.

So, I am wondering do you feel these are ocean deposits or basaltic flow material. It is quite pretty and unique. Excellent discovery wherever it comes from.

Grinder69

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »

So one of my hobbies is hunting through the glacial till on my 5 acre place to find cuttable rocks.  Most of those would have been bulldozed down from Canada.  The most recognizable material I find is Dallasite.  I like to try and figure out generally where these rocks may have originated.  I have found some cobbles that look somewhat like your new find except they don't have the green.  Is your deposit on the Salish sea side of the mountains where it could have been scraped south.   I live in Stanwood Washington. 

Mike

Itsandbits

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »

Since many people (like myself) read this forum to gain an understanding of rock I would like a bit of clarification. You state this is from mineral sediments in the ocean but now I see you state  "ocean basaltic flow material " for formation of this jasper. I know of materials like this that were formed with ocean sediments that were then shoved deep in the earth and mixed with volcanic materials and underwent massive transformation. These deposits were then forced to the surface after subduction and called Plutonic material.

So, I am wondering do you feel these are ocean deposits or basaltic flow material. It is quite pretty and unique. Excellent discovery wherever it comes from.
as a lead in this will give you some idea of the complicated geography of BC; from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_British_Columbia
There are five morphogeological belts that define the geology of British Columbia from east to west: the Foreland, Omineca, Intermontane, Coast and Insular Belt. Each has a separate geology, including different metamorphic, physiographic, metallogenic and tectonic histories.
The Foreland Belt is composed of weakly metamorphosed sedimentary rocks which are 1.4 billion to 33 million years old, and the belt represents a rift sequence followed by a passive margin that was turned into a retro arc fold and thrust belt with synorogenic sedimentation. The region is very rugged except in the northeast of the province where the earth flattens out to a wide plain.
The Omineca Belt is composed of highly metamorphosed, pericratonic (near craton) terranes and fragments of North America that are 2 billion to 180 million years old. Terranes in the belt include the Slide Mountain Terrane, the Yukon-Tanana Terrane and the Cassiar Terrane. This belt goes from low hills to high mountains across its length, with the majority of the region being extremely rugged.
The Intermontane Belt is a flatter, more rounded region composed of three terranes, Stikinia, Quesnellia and the Cache Creek Terrane. The belt has a lower metamorphic grade than the Omineca Belt and ranges from 400 million to within 10,000 years old. Volcanic activity has been recorded as occurring in the past 10,000 years, including at Nazko Cone and in the Satah Mountain volcanic field.
The Coast Belt is the single largest outpouring of granite and granodiorite in the phanerozoic, it contains heavily metamorphosed fragments of both the terranes of the Insular Belt and the Intermontane Belt. In the southeast there is a series of small terranes of both oceanic (Bridge River and Chilliwack) and continental affinity (Jack Konat Mountain, Ladner). The hard-weathering granite is extensively rugged throughout the belt.
The Insular Belt is composed of the outboard terrain with no connection to North America before accretion. There are two main terranes—Wrangellia and the Alexander—and a few smaller ones such as the Pacific Rim terrane. Because the Insular Belt is the most tectonically active of the belts, it has the greatest relief differences from the depths of the Queen Charlotte sound to the heights of the Wrangell–St. Elias mountains. The ages are from 600 million years to recent, with metamorphic grades depending on the age and host of the rock type.
as the islands and seabed that form the west of NA from CA to AK were accreting; BC didn't exist until this happened as everything west of AB was added on in this way, a lot of material from many different sources was mixed due to tectonic, volcanic, and weathering activity. The cliffs in this area tell a lot of the story of how jumbled this transformation was.
The short answer would be to me that this material is in a heavily mineralized sea sediment mixed with ungraded eroded rocks and pebbles up to 400# topped by a pyroclastic flow buried under: now after erosion and several glaciations, 300 ft. of various other stratifications of complicated continent building, erosionary, and volcanic accrual. I think I'd have to write a book to give you a long answer :-)

Itsandbits

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »

So one of my hobbies is hunting through the glacial till on my 5 acre place to find cuttable rocks.  Most of those would have been bulldozed down from Canada.  The most recognizable material I find is Dallasite.  I like to try and figure out generally where these rocks may have originated.  I have found some cobbles that look somewhat like your new find except they don't have the green.  Is your deposit on the Salish sea side of the mountains where it could have been scraped south.   I live in Stanwood Washington. 

Mike
Frank of Lithic Beads finds a lot of material on the Wa coast that is presumed? to come from this area. The Fraser river drainage was blocked several times by the glaciers and as this melted a huge lake was formed in my area. When the ice dams broke, huge amounts of water catacalysmically flowed to the ocean, draining the lake and taking with it huge amounts of material. Glaciation also could possibly have pushed some your way although the flow patterns from here wouldn't indicate it. The outside green material is quite fragile and wouldn't last long tumbling in that maelstrom

55fossil

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

My point exactly. We can all quote articles about certain areas and it can have no meaning about a group of rocks found in the same area. So when an author changes from sea sediment to pyroclastic flows it is a sign. If you are not certain to a very high degree then you should say so. There are so much misinformation on the rock forums that is stated as fact. One fact is that you have a very pretty rock that is most likely a jasper that at one time lived much farther north. I hope you find some very solid pieces and bring a bunch down to the USA to sell.    good luck

olgguy

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

The first slab picture almost looks like wood.

Itsandbits

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »

My point exactly. We can all quote articles about certain areas and it can have no meaning about a group of rocks found in the same area. So when an author changes from sea sediment to pyroclastic flows it is a sign. If you are not certain to a very high degree then you should say so. There are so much misinformation on the rock forums that is stated as fact. One fact is that you have a very pretty rock that is most likely a jasper that at one time lived much farther north. I hope you find some very solid pieces and bring a bunch down to the USA to sell.    good luck
sorry, but I didn't change anything, there is a combination of factors involved here I'm sure. all I was saying and still am is that many factors contributed to it's formation, I really don't know why you're getting bent out of shape

Itsandbits

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »

The first slab picture almost looks like wood.
It does and I was pulled towards that too until I found it forming in the smaller nodules independently
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 52 queries.