Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limestone pendant with pearl  (Read 1490 times)

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
Limestone pendant with pearl
« on: September 20, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »

Ok everyone, this is my first post outside of the "welcome" category, so here goes.

I made this out of some gray limestone that we have around here. Some of it will polish up a rich black, like this did. The pic doesn't show the shine well though. The pearl is a fresh water pearl and is recessed slightly.
I believe I will redo that wrap with a smaller gauge wire, and more shiny wire as well.

pendant .jpg
*pendant .jpg (30.41 kB . 450x800 - viewed 326 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Limestone pendant with pearl
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:22 PM »

Nice idea and great contrast.
Love the use of local material even if its not something well known or respected.
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »

Nice looking pendant.  I agree with your thought to rewrap with a smaller gauge wire.
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

Nice high contrast with a clean design.  Well done.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »

Nice and great to use a local material that works well in that use. Do you know where the pearl came from ?

Quitclayton

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »

Thanks for the nice words everyone.

I really don't know where the pearl came from honestly. My mother got a box full of beads and stones and jewelry crafting materials at a yard sale and one of the small unopened bags from a craft store was marked ''fresh water pearls''. I did not see the before she had them into another container so I have no clue what store or where it may have been purchased originally. This one was of decent size though, and mostly spherical save for a flat spot..I ground a larger flat area from that spot to set the pearl into the stone.

If anyone ever wants any of the limestone that polishes up black like that I have tons.  No..literally tons...you can't walk two feet out here without stepping on this stuff. Most has quartz veins in it too and those make for nice cabs.

MonVictorian

• Natures Handprints
  • Minerals & Gemstones Mother Natures Handprints
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:52:35 AM »

Interesting to see the different mediums you use to make all your jewelry with... definitely most creative. 
"In order to be effective, the truth must penetrate, like an arrow, and that is likely to hurt."
"Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.
Animals, like all living things, are conscious beings. Everything is consciousness; everything vibrates and emits a frequency.

Quitclayton

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »

I basically practice and experiment on what I have available..since quartz and limestone and, well...MORE quartz is abundant here I use it a lot and try to play around with the colors. Now that I have some idea of what I'm doing it's time to get some more conventional stones to work with..though I still will tinker with whatever I have around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 37 queries.