Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medfordite  (Read 2060 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Medfordite
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

Robin and I just discovered a "new" rock. To us, that is. It's Medfordite, which is apparently an "old" rock we just hadn't seen before.

I had read about it somewhere and saw some listed in an auction, so I bought it. We got just enough to make us want some more. I don't have any photos of it yet, but found an old auction listing from one of the members here. So I know at least one other person on here knows about this rough.

Medfordite is similar to Green Tree Agate from India - but better. If anyone wants to share any stories about it we'd like to know more. Came from a place called Eagle Point in Jackson County, Oregon if I remember correctly.

bobby1

Re: Medfordite
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »

I had relatives who lived in Medford and I vaguely recall someone mentioning the material but I never saw any. My uncle who lived just North of Medford in Gold Hill was the person who taught me lapidary in 1958 on a Highland Park B-2 combination machine. He died 3 years ago and I went up there to pick the machine from my cousin last year. It is still in great condition because he treated it well and kept it stored out of the weather.
Bob

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »

Nice that you were able to get a machine like that, Bob. That would be a special unit for sure.

The Medfordite must have been a relatively small deposit, and it was said the area is now closed. Hear that a lot, but all too often it's true these days. From the maps online it looks like Eagle Point is basically a suburb of Medford now, so if the gov't didn't close something it might have been developed.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »

medfordite looks like porcelain jasper in some images online other images it looks like an opal material with ferns

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »

Used to find medfordite in Oregon rock shops 10-20 years ago, but it was getting hard to find even back then. Haven't seen it at all recently. Although listed early on as agate and quartz, I tend toward the opinion that it is chiefly a white quartzite (some areas can be very granular/crystally) with mossy, plumy or splotchy green-brownish-black areas. Some finished pieces can look very like Green Tree agate from India. It was mined back from the 1930s perhaps up to the 1960s. I don't have my notes, but it was mined somewhere north of Medford, so Eagle Point area might be correct. It is a shame that so much good rock has been built over around Medford, just a few spots among the suburbs are left of prime hounding spots like Agate Lake.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »

Just shot some photos of what we got. The rough chunk is one I just can't cut. The other pieces will have to do. The little heel chip was just rubbed up to 3000 grit to see if the green would undercut. It held up nicely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 33 queries.