Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast wire question...  (Read 2538 times)

Subhematoma

Fast wire question...
« on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

Am wrapping a 40mm x 30mm cab with a tree of life design, going to attach the branches to 19guage wire formed behind the stone hidden behind it not around. 

Question is, the tutorial says 19guage which seems to be expensive 20 guage is more popular therfore cheaper but.....If its not going to be thick enough then i would rather pay for 19.

None of the tutorial tells me round square or half square. Branches vs back brace? Can anyone help?

Lastly, I assume the tree itself and branches/roots are dead soft but what about that back piece?

I will be using copper then am going to oxidize it.

Any help apppreciated, it is going to be college graduation gift for my wonderfully special daughter.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Fast wire question...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

Do you have a link to a picture of it from the tutorial?  I may be able to help if I can look at it.

Use 18 gauge instead of the 19.  All wire will work harden as you bend it, so I would go with dead soft if there are no indications in the tutorial.  For the 18 gauge, you can run the wire through a polishing cloth a few times and that will harden it a bit.  As you form the wire, it will work harden more.  You can very gently tap the wire with a rawhide or plastic hammer to harden it even more.  Very gently is key as you don't want to deform the shape of the wire.
Robin

Subhematoma

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »

The base (brass wire) is definitely square and the copper wires are definitely round.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Subhematoma

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »

I did not know the base wire was brass......is it? And reason why I cant use copper?

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »

I'm guessing it's brass.  It's the color of the wire that makes me think that, but I could be wrong.  No reason you can't use copper or any other metal you want to.  It's going to be your creation -- go for it! 
Robin

edgarscale

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »

i do a lot of wire work myself, use dead soft because it will harden as you work it.  using any type of wire and shape is the creators prerogative.  just keep in mind the end result as your creating it and when you oxidize it. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Subhematoma

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

:notworthy: thank you two for your help, I feel more confident. Can I use round square or half round under the stone (base) that roots and branches attach to? I bought round but as hummingbird states above square.   Just feeling all this out if I need to get it I need to hussle. Lol

I have many many stones, tools even bought dremel with stand to start drilling holes. I have had many years I wanted to start and creative ideas stored in my mind for years now. The how to is now coming off the back burner as I age and need the peace of mind Lapidary I hope brings. Thank you.

edgarscale

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »

try making two of the same designs, one using round one, using square wire.  even though, your making the same design they will "look" quite different.  so it's a matter of preference.  i personally like square...a lot of sharp crisp corners.  or try using both on the design.  again a different look.  that's why you do practice runs.  i found a lot of times when i do practice runs, i find them a better "look" than when i use silver wire.   i use to use soft copper for practice. i like the tribal, urban, gothic, grunge look   :LOLOL:

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Subhematoma

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

Awesome ty

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »

Agree on the trial runs.  I use square usually for wire wrapping for the same reason edgarscale does.  Crisp lines and also it is easier to work with in that the wire doesn't have the tendancy to slip around as much -- it's easier to control.

For weaving though, it's round wire almost always.
Robin

GryffinSong

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

...i found a lot of times when i do practice runs, i find them a better "look" than when i use silver wire.   i use to use soft copper for practice. i like the tribal, urban, gothic, grunge look   :LOLOL:

The more I learn, the more I'm leaning toward copper for all or most of my work. I love the look of oxidized copper, and since I'm into steampunk (and diesel punk, etc.) it's a great look for my tastes. It's also really fun to play with flame patina. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 47 queries.