Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning cabochons, chromium oxide  (Read 1219 times)

Rooi

Cleaning cabochons, chromium oxide
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »

Hi all. I hope someone here can share their knowledge and experience with me on this issue. I am a jeweller and I am setting up my own cutting and polishing equipment (still in progress). That said, I do purchase stones online and I have found it a common issue, where wonderful stones arrive with, specifically, chromium oxide impregnating the stones fissures or inclusions. Now I acknowledge these stones (coming from India specifically) are cheaper and thus they can't spend much time on each stone dealing with issues such as this.
Here is an example. The polish is not so good, but the pietersite looks awesome. I don't want to make it worse of course but I am certain it can be improved upon. Is there any suggestions for removing the unsightly green stains? Thank you beforehand.
Rob

Sent from my SM-N900U using Tapatalk

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Cleaning cabochons, chromium oxide
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »

You can probably use something as simple as a water pik to clean them and using soap also helps.  I find the easiest way after using chrome oxide is taking it out to my garden hose and use the fine mist at high pressure and run it back and forth over the stone from different directions and it almost always cleans it out.  I would recommend that if these stones have been this way a while (obviously from shipping overseas) is to soak them in water overnight prior to using the spray to clean them off.  I definitely would NOT use any sort of ultrasonic cleaner as this can damage certain types of stones.

Rooi

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »

You can probably use something as simple as a water pik to clean them and using soap also helps.  I find the easiest way after using chrome oxide is taking it out to my garden hose and use the fine mist at high pressure and run it back and forth over the stone from different directions and it almost always cleans it out.  I would recommend that if these stones have been this way a while (obviously from shipping overseas) is to soak them in water overnight prior to using the spray to clean them off.  I definitely would NOT use any sort of ultrasonic cleaner as this can damage certain types of stones.
Thank you irockhound!

Rooi

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »

I forgot to upload the image! I hope I uploaded this right (correct me if I have done it wrong)

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:22 AM »

I purchased a dozen Pietersite cabs from India for a test. Stones were gorgeous with a lousy finish even though they looked good in the auction photo. When viewing the cabs at different light angles there were flat spots and just a rather poor final polish at best. Your photo shows a fuzzy reflection of light. A well polished stone will have a mirror polish on Pietersite.

My suggestion is to keep them until you learn to polish cabochons and re-finish the cabochons. The difference is tremendous and will make your jewelry look far more professional.  You are on the right track.  good luck

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

Chromium oxide is a great way for showing imperfections: flat spots, cracks, and pits.  The fewer blems that you have the less CroO will remain after a good polish session.  It will not remove imperfections, but it will polish the good surfaces of your stone. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »

It is also a problem in things not always considered blems such as Rutilated Quartz, Sagenite Agate, Druzy Quartz, Plume Agate, and Moss Agate  and short of using sealers prior to finish this can be a problem.

Rooi

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »

Thanks all for the encouragement and clarity. Fossil55 thank you, I will take that advice and hold off on attempting anything with these stones until I see consistent results in my own cutting and polishing. Thanks again all

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 41 queries.