Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gary Green Jasper, McDermitt  (Read 6540 times)

Jhon P

Gary Green Jasper, McDermitt
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »

I was told today that the Gary Green has been claimed again. There is someone there working it.
I was talking to the rock club field trip person about the clubs trip up there this year. He told me the owners name but I don’t remember it. So if anyone is planning a trip be aware that you may not be able to collect there

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: Gary Green Jasper, McDermitt
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »

Dang, that would not be good as my partner and i had found a new spot that has real promise and the pieces are really solid.   I bet that is the hole being worked and claimed as we did not fill it in.  The good news for me is I have a few hundred pounds we dug so I am pretty much set.  I am currently blocking out the big pieces and think I will have several (probably enough for 10) solid enough for very nice spheres.

The area is pretty big so I would still go verify exactly what is marked.  We plan to head up to the site in May.  About 30 years ago my partner found a 2nd site about 30 years ago 1/4 mile from the site on top of the ridge with some orbed pieces.  His knees are shot and he can't remember exactly where it is but every time we go I search another section looking for chips.  This is how we "found" the Purple Cow spot we dig in but I have enough of the new Purple Cow to last me a lifetime. 

This trip we want to explore a new find we made of a picture Jasper first but I think it is very small and we may have already gotten most of it.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »

They have a trackhoe up there and they have a hole 20’ deep and they are bring up some very good rock. I talked to another guy today that was just up there

Orrum

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »

Are they in the Elipso hole?  I have ner been but was looking 4ward to going one trip.

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »

I would like to know if its claimed for sure, so I can let our club know they are planning a trip to McDermitt in the fall.

socalagatehound

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 03:46:22 PM »

As I understand it, Westcoast Mining has staked a claim. Dale has been out there with the excavator and is down about 15 feet. Bringing up some pretty nice stuff, I hear. He has an Ebay store where they have been posting some.

It was a logical move after he acquired rights to the Blue Mountain Mine near McDermitt. Putting the expensive equipment to work. It's one of those spots that needed an excavator, but now we have to buy the stuff. oh well....

Craig

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »

I sure hope it is Dale as I worked with him for a day at his Blue Mtn claim.  I wouldn't mind buying some from him on site and not have to do all the work.   He and my partner go back decades so it will be interesting.  Planning a trip in a few weeks out there.....

Michael

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »

I have looked all over for the Moh scale for Gary Green and cannot find it.  I have a good size slab, and need opinions from people who have cut, sanded and polished it. I have never worked with this stone before

I am guessing here that it is a softer stone than standard jasper, and Linde A, or Rapid Polish would be the best.  I use TO or CO normally on the harder jaspers.  I know it is related to Larsonite, but the same thing, nothing on Goog, or other searches reveals anything as to how to best cab the rock.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

Gary Green and Larsonite are one in the same.  I've cut it with diamond, no problem with final polish with cerium oxide.  I believe Vince has used aluminum oxide as a final polish with the same results.  Mohs is around a 7.
Robin

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »

Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it.  I hate when I have to work out the gouges by using too much grit or severe polish.  Part of the learning process, I suppose.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »

Okay - Now for the absolute correct story directly from the mine owner - Dale.  The Gary Green location has been under private ownership since the 1800's.  Everyone just thought it was BLM land as the previous owners didn't care about the stone and probably liked having the "trails" (roads) kept clear.

Dale bought basically the entire upper loop from the actual owners and it is his PRIVATE land so even driving to the Gary Green site is trespassing and he has the road posted noting it is private property now down by the red tailings cone from the old mercury mine.

The new mine is the Caldera mining company property.

Many months ago I had posted instructions to a spot on the Gary Green site that was lower and yielding gemmy stone that was not really green.  I posted photos of the material and noted that 90% was junk but the 10% that was great was really something. 

Well guess what - This is the new Caldera mine now and it is a 60 foot wide layer BELOW the Gary Green.  The new Jasper is called Caldera Paint Jasper and they are selling some of the best they are digging out of the new Rock Shop/ bulk storage on Lasa Road which is the 2nd marked road on the left south of the Gas station/Store in McDermitt.

They have Gary Green and the new Caldera Paint Jasper for $5.00 a pound, Blue Mountain nodules (Priced from $8. to $25.00 a pound) and the red Moss Agate filled "79" Thunder Eggs which can run as big as 40 pounds for $4.00 a pound.

At the prices he is selling for - you could not drive out and dig the stone if you even value your time at $2.00 to $4.00 an hour!

I will see if I can find my prior post about the Caldera Paint Jasper and link it to this post.  Today I am unloading and I will post some photos of both the quality of the Gary Green and Caldera Paint Jasper as let just say I have enough for my needs to last decades.  My partner has known the property owner since the owner was in college and my partner is 75 years old.

In fact, the Badger Den Jasper I and my partner have been collecting for MANY years is on this property and we showed him what we had dug Friday, 6/15/2018.  I marked the road and a couple of Brush limbs for him and let's just say he wants to get the excavator out to the site ASAP.  If the find is big enough to commercially add to his stone inventory we get a 500 pound "payment" in stone and it is a brutal climb out with stone from the site so we are thrilled with the "deal"!  I will add photos of Badger Den Jasper to this thread too so that I can try and have all of the information here.

The old Purple Cow site is now a claim they have and the plan is to get the excavator there to go "DEEP".  They expect to find a lot of stone deeper.

They also own the Amethyst Sage claim and plan to have the excavator there later this fall.  I might be working that dig in trade for stone too if the Badger Den Jasper dig goes well.

So, now you all know the PRECISE and correct information about all these locations!

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »

Here is the link to the Caldera Paint Jasper photos from knives I have already done with this stone.  At the time it had not yet been identified as a "new" stone.

http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=3240.msg24955#msg24955

socalagatehound

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

Thanks, Michael!

Even though I'm now scratching McDermitt off of my trip list, I wish Dale all of the luck in the world. I hope he finds killer material in every spot so we can buy it from him.

Hope he finds some Purple Cow with deep purple swirls.  :headbang:

And maybe a bunch of Amy Sage with dendritic scenes highlighted with bright purple.  :headbang:

You can place my order now... :drool:

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »

Okay, here are some photos of my share of the Caldera Paint Jasper, Badger Den Jasper and Gary Green jasper rough we brought back on this trip, probably 600 to 700 pounds!

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »

Here are photos of some slabs of the Caldera Paint Jasper I have cut and marked for doing knife scales with!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 52 queries.