Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood box with stones  (Read 1925 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Wood box with stones
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:29:37 AM »

This piece is an exercise in simple shapes from different places, of different color, working together to create harmony. My take on how the world should be, The box is made from Siberian Elm. The removable lid is inlaid with black ebony and has hand cut/polished agate petals and jade "seeds". The lid is curved so the agate petals are ground on their underside to that curved shape. There is a removable teak tray lined with soft green pig skin. the box is about 14.5" x 4.5" x 4.5"

IMG_8883.jpg
*IMG_8883.jpg (36.41 kB . 450x600 - viewed 335 times)
IMG_8886.jpg
*IMG_8886.jpg (46.2 kB . 450x600 - viewed 385 times)
IMG_8884.jpg
*IMG_8884.jpg (48.46 kB . 450x600 - viewed 334 times)
IMG_8881.jpg
*IMG_8881.jpg (87.32 kB . 450x600 - viewed 379 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Wood box with stones
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:32 AM »

Restrained or quiet as they say in ceramics.  The piece works very well.It has a Japanese feel but with  a more European flavor in the stone work. I especially like that the accents do not try to imitate but stand for themselves.Very nice meld and a great piece.

Rustycat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »

This piece is an exercise in simple shapes from different places, of different color, working together to create harmony. My take on how the world should be, The box is made from Siberian Elm. The removable lid is inlaid with black ebony and has hand cut/polished agate petals and jade "seeds". The lid is curved so the agate petals are ground on their underside to that curved shape. There is a removable teak tray lined with soft green pig skin. the box is about 14.5" x 4.5" x 4.5"

Very nice.

Rustycat

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »

Oh, just curious...Did you rout the groves for the ebony inlay before shaping the curve for the top?

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:23:49 AM »

The lid is three thin laminations for a total thickness about 1/4". The top lamination was routed before it was glued to shape. If your interested in how, there is a short video on my Instagram feed using three different patterns to create the grooves and a shot of my bending iron.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Boux0lhHyW0/

rocks2dust

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

Beautiful work! I was beginning to wonder whether anyone was making jeweled boxes these days.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »

Wow, that's beautiful!  How long did it take you to do the whole thing?
Robin

Rosemaryr

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:28 PM »

Elegant and understated, but complete, in itself. 

I like the refined wabi-sabi grain lines on the top, where the elm slightly dips and curves, but you left them intact and untouched but the inlay pieces.

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »

Graceful beauty and harmony.  It must have taken many hours to create!
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 39 queries.