Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapidary/Jewelry Bench  (Read 835 times)

Richlich

Lapidary/Jewelry Bench
« on: July 23, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »

I've just built myself an all-around shop bench (2x4's and plywood). My major reason for building this is because my other bench (an el-cheapo from a certain well known company that sells just about anything tool-oriented) won't allow me to mount vises. (Besides, it's so rickety even if I could one good pound or some such makes it wobble.) In any case, I'm at the point where I'm done the building, now it's time to finish and build on it. Suggestions for finishing the main table? The intent is to have a surface where I can run my tumbler, add a cabbing machine, do some carving with my Dremel, and make some jewelry (chainmaille, wire-wrapping, using standard findings, etc.). I don't intend on doing any faceting at this point. I just want the main work surface to be fairly impermeable to damage (e.g. chemical spills, spilled grit, etc.) Most of what I've read in the everyday wood shop forums is spread all over the place. Maybe just leave the surface raw? Since it's (pine) plywood, I'm not sure that is the best thing to do (because being soft wood it will soak up chemicals).

Suggestions? What's worked for you?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Lapidary/Jewelry Bench
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »

You can always oil it with deck oil or similar product to slow the absorption of stuff, but one part might be topped off with something totally impermeable.  I scavenged a bunch of shower surround and artificial counter top material at my local Habitat for Humanity Restore and have some wonderful workshop table covers. A couple had holes from former valve installations but I work around those spots.  The price is right. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »

I have had good luck with Varathane floor finish. Three or four coats of the stuff holds up well. It is intended for foot traffic and is tough. I don't know about the chemical stuff as I run water in my cabber. Raw makes no sense to me as it will soak up every little thing and hold the funk until you try to re-finish at which point it becomes airborne and you get to inhale it....

Bill

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:23:10 PM »

y bench is a converted old wood custom drafting table.  Like Stonemon, I just sanded it down and for the surface used Varathane.  I have had epoxy get on it and of course some pickle from the silver work etc and it holds up great.  Another year or 2 and I will just resand the surface and put a fresh coat of Varathane.  Somethimes easiest is best.  I do keep a couple 12" granite tile samples on it that i can lay my torch after soldering etc when needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.