Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice - Equip pricing  (Read 2299 times)

kenefick

Need advice - Equip pricing
« on: May 09, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »

I'm in over my head here.  I recently met a delightful 81 year old lady who is trying to liquidate her late husbands collection of rocks and lapidary equipment.  I think I will be buying most of the rock (can never have too much rock) as I have some idea of fair value for it.
There is also a pretty good selection of equipment and she needs input for fair pricing.  She needs to clear out the equipment before she can sell her house, but isn't in a "must sell now" situation.
Here's what is there:
Raytech 18" saw - clean, good blade, power feed
Highland Park 16" saw - excellent condition
Highland Park 10" saw - good condition, gravity feed
Homemade 24" saw (with 22" blade" - well made, power feed
Highland Park 27L vibrating lap
Genie cabbing machine - new motor, both hard wheels worn out, soft wheels appear to be in good shape
Highland Park ?Model AB? polishing arbor with 2 3x8" expanding drum wheels
Highland Park Model A50 cabbing unit
Nexcraft casting wheel (like new condition)
Burn out oven for wax casting

I realize it is difficult to come up with a price without seeing the equipment (I'll take my camera next time), but any hi-lo estimates would be much apreciated. 
I don't have nearly enough posts to be "trusted" in the Buy-Sell section, and I am not trying to sell.  Just hoping to help her get a fair price.

Ken

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Need advice - Equip pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »

$800 to $1,200 minimum for saws in very good condition that are commercially made. $ 350 to 600 for the genie.

kenefick

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 05:37:44 AM »

Thank you sir.

Bentiron

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 02:29:35 PM »

Burnout ovens vary according to brand and size. If you could give a little more information on the burnout oven as to size and brand I could maybe come up with a price. The range in price from as little as $75 for a small single flask size to around a $1,000 or more for a multiflask size, here again depending on condition. If all rusty and dirty on the low end of the price, clean and well cared for more towards the high end of the price. You didn't mention other casting equipment, perhaps a centrifugal casting machine, flasks, vacuum pump, scales, those kinds of things.

kenefick

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:42:08 AM »

Thanks Bentiron.  I'll try to get some more info on the burn out oven, plus pics, when I go back to see her.  It's about an hour drive, so it may be a while.
I did re-check my scribbled notes, and the casting machine is a Neycraft centrifugal.  I know she/he had used it (made some really nice pieces), but the machine is spotless.  She did say she has the manual, and I suspect all the accesories.  I found what appears to be the same machine on the Rio Grande website for $799 new.
On my last trip, she brought out a box of faceting materials (topaz, citrine, amber, and others).  I'll try to get pics of some of that too.
Really don't know why I'm getting involved in this, except I get a glimpse of my wife having to face this situation sometime in the future.  Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Ken

Bentiron

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

On the casting machine it should go for near original price if it looks like new or perhaps drop it down $50 to make the sale but do in $10 increments. Neycraft also makes burnout ovens, the least expensive is around $1,100 for a basic non-programmable model and go up from there. Neycraft are really nice ovens that are made of fiber and last a long time, the elements are embedded in the fiber, a good feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 37 queries.