Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opal t-egg  (Read 793 times)

Kaljaia

Opal t-egg
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »

Solid opal, not fire, but still cool. Big broken egg from a new location hopefully; this was the only one I picked up but I only had about five minutes to look! Will be going back once weather and hunting seasons cooperate.

Let me know if the pictures don't show up, hosting them on facebook this time. The egg came from a place more than ten miles away from where I usually find t-eggs, so very excited for new prospecting avenues! Unfortunately access is even more dependent on seasonal road conditions and other land use, so it might be a few months before I get a chance to go back.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Opal t-egg
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

Try putting a p[piece in water for a few hours and compare it to the rest of the piece.If it takes on a lot of water and clears then look at it backlit by a strong light to see if it is contra luz opal with fire. Alternatively break off a little piece and put  near  a stove or heater for a few days to see if it will craze badly when dried out. When I cut
Oregon opal full time we learned to let it sit outside for a year to see if it would craze. I havfe had the blue opal craze badly 16 years after being cut into a jewelry stone. Have fun and be safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 30 queries.