Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 10783 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Masks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 05:25:14 AM »

I think I have read of a cloth beard shroud that goes on before the mask.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »

there is NO possible way to filter ANY micro particles (the ones we breathe in) with ANY amount of hair between the skin and mask.
Its impossible!

Unless he wears a nasa issued positive fed air helmet and sealed around the neck under the beard.
I offer advice to just do every bit of grinding and sanding & polishing with WET stones and plenty of fluids keeping all dust to 0%

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »

or alter a sand blasting unit into a cabbing cage with extreme shop vac filtering system installed via a long hose and exhausting to outside air.

drnihili

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »

Hmmm, the sandblasting conversion is an interesting idea, though I doubt Teresa would like it and she's the one most likely to do a lot of cabbing.  Unfortunately, I'm the one most likely to use the Richardson Ranch high speed sander, and that's going to be the real dust monster.  I wonder if I should perhaps rethink that choice in favor of something that can be used wet ... :icon_scratch:

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »

Bentiron

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »

I was visiting a friend that is a wood turner, he and I went over to another wood turners house and this guy had a beard down to his belly button that he tucked into his overalls. He had made a particle mask using PVC  pipe, a scuba mouth piece and using the the 3M replacement filters. the PVC pipe balanced on his shoulders and the filters were towards his back over his shoulders. He said he got the idea on line at a wood turn forum. The scuba mouth piece keeps it in your mouth without strain.

drnihili

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »

Interesting idea, Bentiron.  A nose plug would probably be helpful too.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

Tony Funk (http://www.idahorockshop.com) said he uses a modified paint mask, but he doesn't have a beard.  He didn't really clarify what was modified about it either- maybe the filters?

drnihili

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »

Going to try this out.  They have a "Pro" version too, that I may end up getting if I like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N1NZEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »

I recently saw that a full mask is reccomended for folks with beards.

drnihili

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »

From what I've read, a full mask can work for a short beard where the beard is pretty much entirely in the mask.  I'm afraid that's not so much an option for me, in addition to being pretty expensive.  This system should be effective as the seal is made at the lips instead of on the face.  If I were doing this full-time, I'd explore other options, but for periodic use, this seems like it should be doable.  I may step up to the pro version (still less than half the cost of a full mask) if I find myself needing it more often.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »

Hmmm, the sandblasting conversion is an interesting idea, though I doubt Teresa would like it and she's the one most likely to do a lot of cabbing.  Unfortunately, I'm the one most likely to use the Richardson Ranch high speed sander, and that's going to be the real dust monster.  I wonder if I should perhaps rethink that choice in favor of something that can be used wet ... :icon_scratch:

It doesn't have the vacuum hookup flange on the shroud?

I second modifying a scuba mouthpiece to what ever you dream up. that, or maybe make up a box like enclosure like we use on some trim saws, but put a flange at the rear to hook up a shop vac. I doubt any particles will escape  as long as you have a good hepa filter on the vac. That, or set up a exhaust tube on the vac that leads to outside or somewhere safe like they do for auto exhaust in a mechanics shop.

drnihili

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »

It does have a vacuum hook up, and I have a large shop vac to hook to it.  However, I've heard that there's still a considerable about of dust that gets out. 

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »

It does have a vacuum hook up, and I have a large shop vac to hook to it.  However, I've heard that there's still a considerable about of dust that gets out.

I guess that depends on how well the vac is working..... Mine will suck the chrome off a bumper hitch until the filter gets clogged, then it might let some dust fly. I don't do flats anymore, so will be selling mine soon. I want to paint it first maybe, the one I have has a speckle paint job.

drnihili

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

Well, the Resp-o-rator seems to work well.  It takes a bit of getting used to, and I have some minor concern about the humidity levels with the filter so close to the mouth.  I could also wish for a somewhat more comfortable nose clip, I may try trading it out for one designed for swimmers.  Still, it's a far better fate than silicosis and seems to be a good work around for the overly pileous of us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 55 queries.