Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcelain Jasper  (Read 8736 times)

Sandsave

Porcelain Jasper
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

Went back to find porcelain jasper large enough for sphere making. It's fractures it you get to aggressive digging it out. Managed to get a couple nice pieces I think will work. Only picked up a couple cab pieces.
The first pic I can get two 4". One 3" out of the second, the third are some nice cab material.

Sandsave

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Re: Porcelain Jasper
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »

Nice pastel colors in that rough

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:34:37 AM »

Sandsave:   In the quest of learning and sharing, what defines a jasper as porcelain? I see a new jasper being sold for $25 a pound that is pitted, etc and being called a porcelain jasper. Your pictures show a dreamy area in your rough that looks smooth and pretty. But what makes it a porcelain jasper? I would love to start a discussion on this if there is really a definition or established terms.
thanks,  Neal

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »

I looked it up.
Porcelanite, a semivitrified clay or shale resembling jasper.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »

John;

Seriously, do you see where a definition does nothing to establish what is or is not Porcelain "Jasper".  The definition says "resembling jasper", not that it is a jasper. Using "porcelain" as a term to define jasper without any verification that it is Porcelain is just fraud in my book. When people hear "porcelain" they are expecting something with the qualities of Bruneau, Willow Creek and Morrisonite jaspers. And the term means that this jasper is reflective of the very best jasper that came off these claims. The jasper was super hard, took a great polish, and appeared to be made from a super fine ash that was extremely high in silica and had a chemical bond that made it extremely hard.
     As someone who buys and sells a lot of jasper I find the casual use of terms such as AAA, Owyhee and Porcelain when they do not apply are detrimental to the rock hound community. Some people are simply unknowing (polite term) of what they are selling. But established sellers should know better and be held to higher standards. The pictures posted by Sandsave could be a porcelain jasper. I am just raising a point as a jasper lover.    I hope it is a porcelain jasper.   Neal

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »

Porcelain jasper is a very specific type from Sonora Mexico. It normally is composed of white regular squares surrounded by mahogany color.  When broken its surface looks polished like potch opal.   Over the years many other jaspers having the same great polishing qualities have been called porcelain more as a description than name.

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

"Porcelanite, a semivitrified clay or shale resembling jasper."

(So is there another name for a material that is hard but slightly softer than agate, very brittle, takes a polish and derived from shale or slate?) I know this is just back to the material name vs. regional name, but inquiring minds would love to know...
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »

I just looked up the definition  :dontknow: 
I always thought that porcelain jasper was very fine grained, high quality, easily takes a very good polish and has desirable colors. You have to be careful when buying. Some sellers will say anything to make a sale or they were told the name by someone. 
 I want to know too!

rocks2dust

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »

"Porcelain" as an adjective means exactly what you mentioned - a class of jaspers with very fine grain and high silica content that takes a vitreous/glass-like polish. "Porcelanite" and "Porcelain Jasper" are a trade name for what I used to hear called "Exotica jasper" - if one name doesn't sell well, I guess some just switch to a new label. My experience of Exotica is that it polishes fine, but never gets as high a shine as the better of the porcelain class (Morrisonite, Willow Creek, Deschutes, Tracenite, etc.). There is a real mineral called porcelanite (aka mullite), but it isn't gem quality material and not to do with the fancy Mexican jasper.

Jhon P

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »

I am sooo confused. Surfed the net, still confused. It looks like the old saying
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it must be a duck.
If it looks like porcelain jasper, cuts like porcelain jasper, polishes like porcelain jasper it must be porcelain jasper ?  :icon_scratch:

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »

The trade-named Porcelain jasper is not only called Exotica but Sci Fi jasper too.  If two names aren't enough, try three.

I'd add Bruneau and Carressite to the true porcelain jasper list, and there are probably others, not all from the U.S.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »

I am sooo confused. Surfed the net, still confused. It looks like the old saying
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it must be a duck.
If it looks like porcelain jasper, cuts like porcelain jasper, polishes like porcelain jasper it must be porcelain jasper ?  :icon_scratch:
Yep but tastes like chicken.

Jhon P

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »

Mmmmmm I like chicken.  :LOLOL:

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »

The trade-named Porcelain jasper is not only called Exotica but Sci Fi jasper too.  If two names aren't enough, try three.

I'd add Bruneau and Carressite to the true porcelain jasper list, and there are probably others, not all from the U.S.

Not to be picky but the correct spelling is Carrasite. This is one of the worst misspelled gem names in the history of the planet.  Some examples:

Carrisite
Carasite
Carassite
Carissite
Carrassite

"Charlie Carras found and mined the site in the 1970’s.  The current owner, Steve Schultz took over the claim in 1999 and has mined on it every year since."

SOURCE: https://cascadegems.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/carrasite-jasper-from-the-owyhee/

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »

Well, I recall attending numerous gem shows long ago at which the Caress brothers were selling their fine jasper.  If you'll check Hans Gamma's "Picture Jaspers" book, the Caressite spelling is used.

I agree that the name is commonly misspelled.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 52 queries.