Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: fire agate rough  (Read 6923 times)

montanajohn

Re: fire agate rough
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »

I am with you on that, there's not that many left in the world.  What adjusts my attitude however, is a favorite horse comes looking for help a day after being struck on the face, or seeing a calf or colt can't eat, head swollen and waiting to die.  I step on black widow spiders and these days I give the rattlesnakes a good whack with a big stick.  They cause to much suffering to animals just wanting to go their own way

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »

Snakeproof indeed, my dog required an after snakebite shot last year, 850$.  Where there's rocks, there's snakes

Many of those critters around the fossil sites south of Glendive and east of Melstone area....I see them a lot!!
Most of the time I walk away or around them,a few times,I had to kill them,but very few!
i would shoot them with my .410 in the head, then eat them lol!
Tastes like chicken when they are prepared with Teriaki sauce! (snakes, not the livestock)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »

and this.......

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »

I wear good old snap chaps, rarely needed except for the one time they get tested!  I was hunting near Lone Butte in CA. looking for Palm Root when a Mojave Green popped up in the extreme defensive stance about a 2 feet from my knee (Chaps don't do over knee). I unloaded on him in a heartbeat and going to make a headband out of his skin.  The Mojave is the only rattler I'll kill, bastard snake with 2 toxins, doesn't like to rattle and the color of a bush.  People who haven't seen a rattler in the extreme position it is less angry and more you are going to get bit.  Snake puts body straight up in the air with head tilted slightly down.  I am putting in a pic on the defensive stance of a Western Diamond Back the we ran into on the Bouquet Agate ranch in Marfa, Texas.
 Mojave Green's have only 2 scales (Scapoidal) between the eyes and normal Diamond Backs have somewhere in the low teens.  You can only imagine what goes thru your mind when something like this is just in front of your knee cap.

montanajohn

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »

We all want to see this old world as it is.  We want to pick a few of these beautiful rocks and we want to leave a few for the next person to find.  We want especially to keep things as they are for the next generations of rockhounds and people who appreciate all the beauty we see, both in and outside of the rocks we find. 
   Rattlesnakes take some thought.  They are part of this landscape, and it would be a poor place without their threat to help keep us aware.  But the fact is, they deal a world of misery to a lot of animals just trying to go their way. 
  You must make the decision, as do I, let this rascal go on or kill him with a big stick.  If he is not in a position to deal misery to my dogs, horses or cattle, which depend on me for help, I let him be.  Otherwise, I kill him very dead

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »

Quite alive when I left him.  Only thing I shot him with was my camera.  Like all the other rattlers I have encountered on the ranches in Texas.  I don't advocate killing rattlers and I find them beautiful.  I do hold exception to the Mojave Green however.  There is no good theory that I have seen as to how the Mojave came to be but it wasn't seen much before the 70's and only around the otwn of Mojave CA.  since then they have expanded into many neighboring states.  I find that because of the green appearance of the snake and the fact that it doesn't like to rattle makes it a very good candidate for accidental bites by the unsuspecting hiker etc and add the 2 toxins and it is the only rattler I will kill or ever have killed.  Included is another rattler from the ranch, when I found it it crawled under a rock into a cavity and after I photographed it I placed the cover rock back over it to give him some protection, not something most people would do.

mountainman

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »

Hi, I was at Cuesta Fire Agate Mine this winter and was in a new hole. I was got a 5 gallon bucket full for a days dig. Pcs from nodules to pcs 5"X8" in size. Most showed fire or good possibility of Fire. I have started working 10 pcs which only one hasn't shown any fire yet, Plus I got a few nice pcs of Druse Crystal Clusters (Desert Roses). Well worth the money spent. Will be going back.   

montanajohn

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »

Thanks for the good information.  Where is the Cuesta Ray mine?  A fee dig I assume?

olgguy

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »

The "Greens" are in the Nebraska grasslands where we were looking for Fairburns in the piles left by the ice age.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.