Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First go at knife handles  (Read 1863 times)

Jet

First go at knife handles
« on: April 15, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »

I was thrilled to find this section here.

Then I looked at all the pictures....I have so much to learn.
I've been working on a couple of simple knife handles and I've already made so many mistakes!  Here are some pics of the halves I've been working on.  I suspect after reading here and incorporating your tips, etc, the 2nd half of each will be much much better.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Re: First go at knife handles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »

Very pretty material.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

I fit the scale to the knife, glue it on than  grind and sand it to the bolsters. Sometimes you have to selective on what knife you use so you get s good fit.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »

Here's the link to knife tutorials on the old board:  http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php?board=34.0
Robin

Barclay

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »

Jet, good first try.  It is a bit tricky.  To make sure my rock fits in the handle space I make a template first.  I take modeling clay and make a replica of the space i want to fill.  Clay unfortunately shrinks when it dries  so i can't stop there.  I take the wet clay out of the knife handle and place it on a sheet of flat plastic.  You can use milk jugs, butter containers or you can go to JoAnn Fabrics and buy small sheets of stencil plastic.  I put the clay template on the plastic, mark the outline with a extra thin sharpie and cut it out.  Next i put the plastic template back in the space for the handle and trim the plastic until it fits perfectly.  Now i can use my plastic template to mark out the stones and most importantly the angles between the front bolster and back bolster accurately.  When you mark out the stone using the template it will be a tiny bit large, but it is only the width of the implement you use to draw the lines.  Using an extra fine sharpie you add about 1 mm to each side.  A fine point aluminum pencil would make a thinner line.  Don't give up!

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »

Here is a trapper and Wyoming jade that I have the scales fitted. Getting ready to tape it all off so I don't cut myself on the blades and get epoxy into any place I don't want it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.