Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amethyst, marble and purpleheart pendant  (Read 3711 times)

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
Amethyst, marble and purpleheart pendant
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »

Finished this last night, for a friend to give to her granddaughter.

It's white marble and amethyst, with purpleheart as the backing. I'm not sure if it would be considered intarsia or not since the marble is cut to hold the amethyst for the ''two hearts into one'' look or not.

I may try this same design with Lapis and amethyst next...now that I have a better idea on how to cut and fit the bigger heart.

0926172130a.jpg
*0926172130a.jpg (26.34 kB . 450x800 - viewed 633 times)

edgarscale

Re: Amethyst, marble and purpleheart pendant
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:52 AM »

good work, i like it

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »

Very pretty piece and a one of a kind concept.  I can think of a ton of color combos that the same concept would make exceptional pairings.  Love it.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »

how is it set?
I like it. is it glued together purple on white?

Quitclayton

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

Thanks for the comments! 

Actually the stones are glued to a thin backing of purpleheart wood. I originally planned to set the amethyst into the marble, but that made the marble piece really really thin and I did not trust its integrity even if they were epoxied together..so I settled on setting them slightly into the wood backing. The marble turned out a bit thicker than the amethyst, so I had to make two different setting depths in the backing wood to even out the tops of the stones. The back being wood did make it easier to set the bail in though. I recessed a trough and bent the wire accordingly.

I also put a slight relief carving of the two hears on the backing..with the white side being complete and the smaller one being eclipsed so to say.

I would like to hear any color combinations you think may look good...I'm always up for ideas.

Here is the wood recesses I said about. Ill get a pic of the carving on the back today sometime

0926171959 - Copy.jpg
*0926171959 - Copy.jpg (32.01 kB . 450x800 - viewed 635 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

Interesting.
Thanks!

MonVictorian

• Natures Handprints
  • Minerals & Gemstones Mother Natures Handprints
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:47:43 AM »

Would of never occurred to me to glue a stone to a thin backing of wood for jewelry. Very interesting....
"In order to be effective, the truth must penetrate, like an arrow, and that is likely to hurt."
"Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.
Animals, like all living things, are conscious beings. Everything is consciousness; everything vibrates and emits a frequency.

Quitclayton

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »

I did, and still do, a lot of wood carving and walking sticks years ago..and I would inlay buttons of deer antler into the walking sticks as well as a few bookmarks..those were very thin slices with antler section inlays. Those are basically where the idea for the wood backing on this piece came to mind.

I first thought of using bone for the backing, but it being white I didn't think it would set the colors off the way I wanted. I still may do some bone backing with Lapis..that should make for a nice contrast.

MonVictorian

• Natures Handprints
  • Minerals & Gemstones Mother Natures Handprints
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »

That bone backing idea with Lapis, sounds very intriguing... now for sure you've got to do one or 2 or 3 and post some pics so we can take a gander. 

I do some carving on walking sticks and talking sticks with stone inlays, mainly for the powwows and tribal gatherings.
I'd love to see a couple of your walking sticks.... If you still have any.... do you also sell them?

Monica

"In order to be effective, the truth must penetrate, like an arrow, and that is likely to hurt."
"Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.
Animals, like all living things, are conscious beings. Everything is consciousness; everything vibrates and emits a frequency.

Quitclayton

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

It's been a while, but I have been working on the lapis and in bone setting, and I discovered that you must prep the bone very, VERY well before any sort of adhesive will hold. Even what looks like a clean bone has some residual grease and body ick in it that kills even the best adhesive.

This is something I should have realized, as I did professional skull and bone cleaning for close 10 years. I think now I have a cleaning process that does good enough to take the grease out of even thick cow bones. I'll probably start a new thread when I get something done with it finally.

edgarscale

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »

It's been a while, but I have been working on the lapis and in bone setting, and I discovered that you must prep the bone very, VERY well before any sort of adhesive will hold. Even what looks like a clean bone has some residual grease and body ick in it that kills even the best adhesive.

This is something I should have realized, as I did professional skull and bone cleaning for close 10 years. I think now I have a cleaning process that does good enough to take the grease out of even thick cow bones. I'll probably start a new thread when I get something done with it finally.
  i would love to here on how you clean/remove grease from bone.  i do a lot of bone carving. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 48 queries.