Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to the markets  (Read 1886 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Trip to the markets
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »

Hi there, I'm in China and just back from for me now a yearly trip to Hualin in Guanzhou (still got 5 more days to work here before going home.
This market never seizes to fascinate. Building one of four with about a thousand shops under one roof. Real, fake or manmade, ptetty much any bead you can imagine in here.

Amber seems to be still very popular, but ask for some of that stunning beautiful blue in the rough, and you are quickly shooed away (good guess that that stuff is not real. Hallo Ebay!). Also, Laimar seems to be just about everywhere. Did they find a way to manufacture that thing now?

After a quick look around for some chatoyant stuff I found here 3 years ago (and welcome air-condition to cool down), onwards to my real target of the day, the jade-markets for multicolored nephrite and agate. 

Thousands of small shops. You better know what you are looking for, and all the tricks of the trade, before parting with money here.

Lets keep this post to the site today, and my haul to another post.
One thing I learned today is that the majority of agates here are from Madagascar. That includes, what I believed in the past to be my favorites of Montana agates. Not so, it turns out, all that stuff is Madagascar.

Tons of it, perfectly polished, and on the cheap.

Even at two inches with huge mosses in it, they barely cost 15$ without haggling.

As I was looking for two-tone jade and agates, naturally, I came across a fascinating array of carvings. The skills that are needed to work the layers that well is simply mind-boggling. To me at least.
Agate in front, nephrite in back (not soapstone, I checked)

Agates

Jaspers I thought the big one to be soapstone, but after looking at them close up, it must be jasper as the small one has exactly the same colour/texture but with agate underneath, so its not soapstone.

Lingered around specific shops for quite a while,.....

Not because they had something I would buy, but because of a smell that reminded me so much of my fathers workplace as we grew up. Sandalwood shops. Using sandalwood and other strong smelling wood for beads, carvings and incense.

One thing remaining: Wishlist for next visit, next year:

No clue what it is, but I want the rough version of that thing.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

Jhon P

Re: Trip to the markets
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »

Looking forward to see what you bought!!!  A friend of mine went Cambodia a couple of years ago and brought back some star rubies for me (I paid for them $30 ea) last year he went to Myanmar (Burma) and got me a few more star rubies and a very nice blue star sapphire.  You want to find me one?  Just kidding!

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »

Looking forward to see what you bought!!!  A friend of mine went Cambodia a couple of years ago and brought back some star rubies for me (I paid for them $30 ea) last year he went to Myanmar (Burma) and got me a few more star rubies and a very nice blue star sapphire.  You want to find me one?  Just kidding!

:LOLOL: The only "precious" stones I saw where man-made and presented as such openly.  :Bash:
  :icon_thumleft: Careful mentioning Myanmar openly, embargo is still in force, right? Never know who is listening.   :icon_thumright:

Just got myself 2 agates and 4 two-tone nephrite's.
Anything not given, is lost.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »

the USA has relaxed the restrictions on travel and certain exports.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:37 AM »

I got super lucky a few years ago and a co-worker sent me an email on an estate sale.  I went and the guy had totes full of Burmese Jadeite slabs in all sorts of colors.  They were still marked with the old canvas typewriter tape for the 60's-80's and the slabs were priced at up to $50 (original price) for some of the slabs, I paid about 5 to 8 per slab if that.  I got them for a steal.  Then when I went into the garage on the way out of the sale I found 2 large Ziploc bags with large sapphires for $8. and one small bag of cut small black 4 ray star sapphires for $3. (about 150 stones), just recently realized that most are star stones and I so far am a bit bad at orienting them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.