Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When do you polish the stone when doing scales?  (Read 2696 times)

Bluetangclan

When do you polish the stone when doing scales?
« on: September 25, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »

I have been doing cabs for awhile and am interested in more practical usage for stone work, handles and scales for knives for example. I ordered a cheapish folding knife to practice on. I know the how to on removing the existing wooden scales on it so not too worried there even though I am sure it will be more aggravating than I expect it to be.

Using the existing scales as a model for tracing out the new stone scales I got it that far along with using a low grit belt sander to get it sized up with the knife. Here comes my question area.

When do you actually polish the stone? When its glued onto the knife or before? Do you use regular diamond wheels for this? Or do you size up the stone and polish it and then glue it onto the knife?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: When do you polish the stone when doing scales?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »

Michael might give you better tips than I since I still think I am not doing it the best way.  Since I need to have some overlap on the scales during the gluing process I can't finish those parts however--   I do try to get the edges of the scales where they meet the bolsters as close as possible because I don't what to hit the bolsters with my wheels trying to finish the stone.  The tops of the scales are a different case though.  I can get the contour of the scales to match the bolsters very close and always try to have the edges at the bolster/scale perfect so i don't have to go back to them.  That way after gluing I only have to grind to the spine and blade side to match the steel and then address the radius to the already polished top surface.  If I do need to do any work near the bolsters I can do that with a flex or dremel and diamond bits to get them spot on.  I just finished a blade for my daughter in law as a surprise and it came out pretty good.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Robin

VegasJames

Re: When do you polish the stone when doing scales?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:05 PM »

I do the final shaping and all the polishing when the scales are on the knife itself. This way the scales fit the shape of the knife perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.