Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi gang, new in L.A., advice needed  (Read 988 times)

KCorcoran

Hi gang, new in L.A., advice needed
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »

Hello lapidarists, my name's Kumar, living in Southern California, and I'm looking for some advice on tools and setup.

I've never touched a rock before (in an artistic sense), but a month or two ago I was out by Zion in Utah, and couldn't resist picking up a couple raw Tigers Eye stones (see attached image).

Now, I've got a specific project in mind, and a kinda time-sensitive, urgent need to get it completed sooner than later.

I want to carve these 2 pieces into figurines, a flying owl in the golden piece, and a perching owl in the blue.
I'm thinking of getting a decent dremel tool, with a dlc blade for slicing off the fat, and dlc bits to grind the actual forms.
I figure I'll need some good (possibly cut-resistant?) work gloves, a solid heavy-duty dust mask (I've read about the joys of silica inhalation, along with Tigers Eye's propensity for containing asbestos), goggles, a little work bench with an articulating rubber-toothed clamp, and a method of delivering a stream of water onto my work spot, and a broad bucket for collection and disposal of waste water.
I was also thinking of a sort of plexiglass box frame to go over the bench, maybe a cheap used fishtank, I could just cut some hand-holes into the sides, maybe drill a hole in the top for a water tube, just to cut down on the noise/dust/chips that might fly about. My work-area isn't very big, just a small apartment porch, so I want to be extra careful about controlling potentially harmful dust.

What do you folks use for your stone sculpting needs?

Thank you for your time.
-Kumar
define : confine

Felicia

Re: Hi gang, new in L.A., advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Gloves can catch on stuff, cause accidents, we generally don't use them. I don't envy you cutting holes in a glass fish tank. Possibly a plastic container on it's side and fasten a piece of clear acrylic or plexiglass to the front. Glad you've done your homework on dust and asbestos inhalation! Will love to see your work.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  If you cut wet, you will want a flex shaft, not just a normal Dremel.  Keep the water away from the motor.  I would build a plexiglass box rather than try to modify glass.  Sooner or later you will anyway.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »

I think you are on a good footing to start since it looks like you have a an understanding of the basics.  Like mentioned Plexiglass and a flex shaft like a foredom.  Also when planning your design pay attention to the fracture going up into the Blue Hawkseye.  I can see a rather visibly fracture in your picture, How far this extends you might be able to tell from the top or the bottom.  It not you might not get the full picture of where to avoid until you get rid of some of the outer matrix.  In cut pieces of stone the quickest way to look for fractures is to wet the stone and quickly wipe the water away with your hand or arm and then hold up the piece and look for any lines where the fluid is still visible since it will gather in the fractures and weak spots like a porous area.  Gold is the typical "Tigerseye", A blue and Gold mixed version is called "Varigated Tigerseye".  A more solid Blue color is called "Hawkseye".  There is also a red version that doesn't have a more known name but several of the metaphysical and crystal people call it "Dragonseye"

KCorcoran

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »

Thank you Felicia, Slabbercabber, and irockhound, for your kind words, excellent information and advice. I was half expecting snarls to "read the FAQ & tutorials, noob!" and instead received solid advice that will definitely change my shopping list and practices.
I'll look for ways to firmly anchor my piece, instead of trying to hold it in a gloved hand.
Yeah, I'll definitely avoid trying to use/alter a glass enclosure, I was thinking of plexiglass, but for speed I might just go with the plastic-and-plexiglass-window idea.
I'll definitely look for some sort of flexible shaft option, thank you. There's always that delicate balance between tool-lust and realistic financial decisions... :grin:
Thanks for the advice on the Hawkseye block, I definitely chose that one with an inexperienced eye. I think the fracture might extend completely through, I'll give it a full inspection when I get home. I might have to create something much smaller, with that chunk.

Thanks for the inclusive welcome. I hope I can share some pictures before too long.

Felicia

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 06:49:38 PM »

I've seen another name for the red, but forget what it is. Dragon's eye sticks better. Not metaphysical about stones, just like dragon's. (Dinosaurs, pterasaurs, anyone?)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »

No lapidary water down drains , it hardens like cement . Welcome to the forum . good luck and be patient.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:57 PM »

Welcome! To add to what others have stated: if you have no experience with carving and rotary tools, you should definitely practice making your owls out of soapstone (very soft), marble (somewhat soft), and chert (hardness comparable to tiger's eye). These can all be found cheaply as scrap or second-hand home decor pieces.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!

Just an FYI, you can get a flex shaft attachment for a dremel instead of shelling out more money for a Foredom, especially if you're unsure that you will get the use out of it to justify the expense.  If you become addicted to carving you can always upgrade to a Foredom or a fixed carving lathe later.

Cheap diamond bits can bought on Ebay.  Remember they're cheap, so make sure you use lots of water while carving, otherwise they'll be useless in no time.  Also remember to let the diamonds do the work.  No need to bear down on the bits while you're using them.

Please keep us updated on your progress!
Robin

KCorcoran

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »

No lapidary water down drains , it hardens like cement .
Thanks for the advice lithicbeads! Would disposal in a storm-drain be ok? How do people usually dispose of their waste water? I'm in a fully urbanized area, no natural earth spaces for a few thousand yards in any direction.
Did a bit of reading... since I'm eventually going to be working on a tigers eye, which could potentially contain asbestos, I've read that some people drop it off at a local college chem department waste containers. Is this overkill, or just considerate safe practice? Look up a hazardous household waste disposal site?

Sounds like practice is a good idea. I'll do that before the final piece.

Thanks for the continued support and advice, everybody.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 46 queries.