Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help on this question about my slab saw  (Read 5322 times)

TRG

Re: I need help on this question about my slab saw
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »

If they ship free for that amount that might be the best rate I've seen yet considering the weight of the gallons and size. I'm going to need to fill a 24" here soon 

Grayco

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »

If they ship free for that amount that might be the best rate I've seen yet considering the weight of the gallons and size. I'm going to need to fill a 24" here soon

They do ship free for over $50.  So order 4 @ $12 ea. and 1 at $13 and you get 5 for $61 or $12.20 per gallon
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

Sandsave

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »

I collect and cut only sludge free rocks! LOL As mentioned above check the oil after it sits awhile. I use mineral oil as long as I can see clear layer on top after settling I keep using.

crazyjays

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

Ya I quite asking dumb questions and started using  Google first lol and just post photos here first.

Barclay

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »

I think what you need is a way to filter your oil and reuse it.  It can be as simple as a paper grocery bag sitting in a collander inside of a 5-gallon bucket.  The easy to recover oil seeps through the bag in a couple of days.  if you leave it alone for a month or so you can get more oil out of the sludge.  Some people press the sludge to get as much oil out as possible.

crazyjays

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »

The paper grocery bag works great. I will post a photo(s) of how i do it. I don't use a bucket.  I just have just learned it just better some times to use google. because i feel my question are kind of dumb. like me saying this.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 06:58:17 AM »

There are no dumb questions.  Just because you don't know the answer, doesn't make the question dumb.  If you knew the answer and then asked the question, then that would be dumb, right?   :LOLOL:
Robin

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »

Changing oil in a 10 inch saw doesn't happen that often.  Like they are telling you, let the bottom of the reservoir get sludgy.  I do lose quite a bit of oil from misting and spray, which means I add oil as needed.  I feel the most important thing is to have enough oil in there to keep the blade and stone cool.  When the oil gets bad you will notice more debris and or sludge on the table top.  Cleaner oil and it flows back into the reservoir.

TRG

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:35 AM »

Thanks a lot Grayco!!   Glad to know where I will be buying oil next without the shipping charge. It's almost unbelievable considering the weight in oil I will need for all of the saws....  I'll take it!!   :glasses9:        I'm going to try the paper bag reclaim method this time as all I had ever done was let it settle in buckets and then siphon off the top.   Cleaning 18"+ saws etc , sometimes it's like can we get Mike in here from the tv show Dirty Jobs.  :coffee1: 

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »

The paper grocery bag works great. I will post a photo(s) of how i do it. I don't use a bucket.  I just have just learned it just better some times to use google. because i feel my question are kind of dumb. like me saying this.

The paper bag technique only works if your oil is still in liquid form.  :angel9: :icon_thumright:

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »

About that misting... I put one bottle of Bardahl No Smoke in the 2 gallons of oil in my 12 inch and the misting was reduced by 90%
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 47 queries.