Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk slab purchase...help a newb  (Read 1077 times)

scratchnsniff

Bulk slab purchase...help a newb
« on: August 07, 2020, 01:46:55 AM »

I recently picked up several boxes of slabs...The man selling them had inherited his mother's lapidary equipment and rocks/slabs, and had no idea what anything was, or where it came from. I probably have around 700 pounds worth, buckets full, and here are just a few samples. Need help identifying, if possible...I just noticed that the individual photo size limit is 1MB, so I'll probably have to take individual slab photos. Thanks in advance for your time.

scratchnsniff

Re: Bulk slab purchase...help a newb
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 01:48:28 AM »

...more

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 04:34:28 AM »

Number 3 looks like zoisite.  Look carefully for red ruby in it.  11 appears to be ocean jasper.  14,15 and 16 might be Ohio flint agate.  23 is picture agate.  23 looks like blue opal.  29 is white lace agate.  32 is leapard skin jasper.  35 is blue lace agate.  It would be very hard to tell about the uncut pieces from a picture.  Most of the rest are generic jasper.

scratchnsniff

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »

#3 up-close (louped) doesn't seem to have any red ruby, but the black is shiny, glass like obsidian....#25 is really more of a grey color (looks kind of blue in the picture), but it has shiny metallic bands running through it that reflect when maoved back-forth...#20 seems to have big chinks of garnet(?) and it is crumbly...#34 (can't tell in the picture) but it is an almost perfect orb geode shape, cut in half....#6 has a gritty sandy feel to it

Thanks for the reply!

scratchnsniff

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:39:44 AM »

...and #1 is really cool...all the pieces are a milky color, with blue-grey dendrites swirling through it

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »

Here is a list I put together.  On #32, there was another ident of Leopard Skin Jasper and this is a name for a variety from a specific location and has certain color combos.
 As with anything there can be exceptions but likely this is just another Obicular Rhyolite from another location however number 13 in your slabs is Leopard Skin.  Most of the Agates and Jaspers you have don't have enough special features for me to place in any one locale.  A couple of pictures are just hard to identify because they are dry or a rough mineral specimen that could be many things.

scratchnsniff

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

Wow...irock and slabbercabber...thanks a bunch guys! With so many varieties, to be able to identify like that is a real skill...Thanks again!!

Picture Rocks

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »

Number 22 and 28 look like Ocean Picture Jasper. 28 needs a closeup to see the details better. Good Luck and Have Fun! Thanks for the interesting variety!
Chris
I like petrified wood in wood furniture.
Picture Jaspers are my favourite.
You Always Get to Where You are Going!

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 03:01:26 PM »

5 looks like crazy lace agate, 6 is a strawberry onyx, 7 looks like an Oregon picture jasper (really more of a sandstone).

Felicia

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »

How hard is #1? If softer, opal???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.