Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jade  (Read 1397 times)

Jhon P

Jade
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:41:19 PM »

There was a discussion about how long it takes to make a cab
I was performing sandsave's Wyoming jade for a sphere and took a corner slice to do a test cab and thought that I would time it. After it was preformed and glued to the stick it took 12 minutes. It is still on the stick

Orrum

Re: Jade
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:57:24 AM »

Wow that's fast!!!   I have silicon carbide hard wheels and belts so it's slower but I like expandos. Maybe one day I will get some diamond belts. That jade is a great color and shine, can't wait to see the sphere...  How long does it take to make a sphere?

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »

it seams like jade takes forever, it dosen't like being ground

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »

12mins is pretty darn fast I would say! I too look forward to seeing the finished jade sphere

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:28:32 PM »

Wow That is fast :clock:

I do calibrated stones and it can take hours :dontknow: I know that my equiptment needs some upgrades but the preform takes forever to get it within .5 mm so i can go on to the sanding stage.

It is a love hate thing cutting calibrated stones. About 30 years ago I had a pretty good business for cutting stones for replacements in settings. I have seen some way cool custom settings that need a precise stone to fit it.

Yes I want to see a sphere also.

Bless
Shawn

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »

I have done some replacement stones in jewelry for a few people. Very time consuming, you don't want to have to start all over if you screw up. It always ends up being an expensive stone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 34 queries.