Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinle AZ Rainbow Petrified Wood  (Read 2132 times)

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
Chinle AZ Rainbow Petrified Wood
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »

This morning I was able to get one decent cab out of some Arizona rainbow petrified wood. As you all know, Arizona petrified wood comes out of the ground very fractured. The fractures not only form horizontal but there are vertical ones too. I went through about three pounds to get this one. I really like this stuff, too bad the yield is so low. I was able to get the rings to show with a couple of colors. Thought I would share one with you all. Eric.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Chinle AZ Rainbow Petrified Wood
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

really nice.
I find some blue agate (seam agate) off a highway in eastern wa that is the same way.
but when i locate a nice piece to cab up it sure looks great.

JRAGS

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »

That is so beautiful. I have a bunch of that Ariz. pet wood and I try to slice it for my stuff and it's almost impossible to get even a small piece with out shattering. But that piece is stunning. I am in Awe.

Itsandbits

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »

great looking material!!
It sure looks like and sounds like it would be worth treating before cutting to try to salvage more of it if it comes out looking like that!! wowser!
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »

Stabilization helps with the fracturing problem.  You can save a bit more material that way.

Eric it's a beautiful cab.  I do like how you captured some rings in there.  :thumbsup: :headbang: :glasses9:

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »

Stunning piece Ajo- I know how hard that material is to work, you are lucky to have gotten such a beautiful cab out of it.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »

It's perfect! 

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

Itsandbits

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

I was given this in trade for some of my "Deadman Jasper" it was found by another rockhound that goes to Arizona for the winter and am considering throwing it in a vacuum epoxy bath, then cutting it. The piece is about 5" x3" x 2" inches thick. You can see the white residue in the fractures that was left after he polished it.

rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 41 queries.