Let's Rock > Fossils

Aunt's Fossil. Need ID.

(1/2) > >>

Enchantra:
My Aunt asked me to identify this for her.  I'm hoping she can grab me some better pictures than what she sent me over email that I have below.  My Father and her were out hounding a beach together in the Finger Lakes region of NY state and this is what she found.  I'm leaning towards some old barnacle or perhaps a brachiopod or cephalopod.  However perhaps someone else has an idea.  Both pictures are of opposite sides of the same fossil.
Thanks!   :thumbsup:

jakesrocks:
From the second pic, it's some sort of fossil coral. Better pics might help id the type.

Enchantra:

--- Quote from: jakesrocks on June 30, 2016, 08:23:10 AM ---From the second pic, it's some sort of fossil coral. Better pics might help id the type.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I'm hoping she sends me better pictures.  I wrote her to tell her they were blurry.

Enchantra:
Ok she sent me this new picture, which still isn't great, but it does show more detail.

jakesrocks:
Still say it's coral, with a scallop shell attached to the bottom. In the second pic from the top, you can see the coral cells.

The scallop most likely attached itself to a small dead coral colony, and itself was fossilized along with the coral.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version