Gadgets, Gizmos, and Dohickeys > SAFETY

Finger protection

(1/2) > >>

timmycuts:
I'm looking to protect my fingers while grinding and shaping.... Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ryaly2dogs:
Are you familiar with dopping sticks and dopping wax that holds the rock to the stick?  This is fairly standard and will go very far towards keeping nails and skin on your fingers.  I went this route after the first 2 weeks when I realized I was running out of skin.

Redrummd:
I buy the cloth bandaids in boxes of 100 as I do not dop anything.   I only have to use one on my right finger as that is the finger I use to stabilize the stone in all stages of grinding, sanding and polishing.  In fact the bandaid assists in stabilizing and holding the stone. 

I also use the bandaid to assist in the polishing stages - especially with Jade.  I keep the bandaid wet and let my finger drag lightly on the 3000, 8000, and 14,000 wheels.  That is about all the moisture needed to polish most jades and a lot of other stones.  I call it "scuff" polishing....

Regina Rock:
My wife uses this ...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=64762&cat=1,42207,64762

as do a few others in our club

bob

James D. Farrow:
I use rubber "finger cots". Get 720 in a bag for about $20.00.

Enough that you can double them up. They cover about half the length of your fingers.

They do wear through after a few uses but they save my nails. Without them was wearing
down my nails to the point of bleeding. Wasn't even feeling they grind/sand away.  :LOLOL:

I tried gloves, etc... but were to thick and took away the feel of the stone.

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version