Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cleaning or burnishing with steel shot  (Read 1470 times)

robirdman

cleaning or burnishing with steel shot
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:14:05 PM »

I am trying with a number of different metals, some sterling silver and some brass from old lamps and some steel parts I am cleaning after dissembling a rock saw.  I am using a vibrating tumbler, and I never get a good sheen. I used what I thought was old burnishing solution, then tried dishwashing detergent and Boraxo.  The foam gets brownish, I rinse and do again multiple times, but there is always more of a dull grayish sheen on the steel parts, though the brass does pretty well.  Recommendations as to solutions or procedures?

Slabbercabber

Re: cleaning or burnishing with steel shot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »

I'm not sure polishing is posible by tumbling but I would use walnut shell media.  It works very well for brass cases.

Rockin' Randy

• Rockin' Ran-De's Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »

I use Stainless steel shot with a tablespoon of dish soap in a three pound rotary tumbler to shine Sterling silver settings. It seems to work well. Never tried it on brass or steel parts.

ileney

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »

I agree with Randy. I use stainless steel shot. Are you sure it is stainless and not regular steel shot?Are you not adding enough water? I leave stainless steel shot or pins and shot in there for an hour or two, with plenty of water and a little original Dawn dishwash detergent and the silver polishes beautifully. However, if the silver was tarnished, I think you might have to get that off or you could pickle it first to get that off. For copper or brass, you might have to pickle it or use pennybright to get the tarnish off first. I wouldn't expect tumbling to get off heavy tarnish. I also don't know if it would work for polishing steel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 33 queries.