Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little cheer  (Read 1468 times)

Felicia

A little cheer
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:36:58 AM »

A dull day here, maybe elsewhere as well. Here's a picture I took a couple of days ago. Enjoy. It's about a month ahead and welcome! I love it's watercolor look.  IMG_20200221_103311.jpg
*IMG_20200221_103311.jpg (464.19 kB . 1200x1600 - viewed 264 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: A little cheer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »

How pretty!  I'm usually pretty good at growing things, but orchids defy me.  Actually, they hate me. 
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:09:13 PM »

My lapidary shop has huge windows and is full of plants and we just put in 5 half whiskey barrels out front filled with hardy lilly bulbs. spring is almost here !

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »

Phalaenopsis orchids are the only kind that stay alive for me. Gave up on others.

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:41:16 AM »

My couple of attempts at orchids also failed. Last one didn't die, but never flowered again after about 8 years. I did get a Phalaenopsis a couple of months ago, and am hoping it does well (room it's in is full of other thriving plants). Nice morning greeting photo.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »

Beautiful blooms, Felicia.  I too grow orchids and keep most of them in an east facing garden window where they are pretty happy and behave well.  I also do well with phalaenopsis, and I am able to grow the epidendrum, cockleshell and cymbidium varieties outdoors which is a plus.  I try but struggle with the paphiopedilum, dendrobiums and cattlyea (sp?), so I basically gave up on those. I think I have one dendrobium remaining which I had had for about 10 years now.

I get folks in our neighborhood dropping off "sick" ones which nearly always are victims of overwatering.  Are you the local orchid whisperer in your neighborhood?

Felicia

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »

There are a number of other plants, most doing well, need to repot a couple this spring. I don't believe I'm an orchid whisperer, as only one type works for me. I was working in a construction recycling place-stuff from construction sites, and we got in left over from some offices being redone, and they threw out the extra orchids. All of us who wanted some divided them up between us. Maybe half of them lived, but of course they'd been badly handled, not watered, and chilled badly. Well, some lived and did well. A couple died later. Four of the five  survivors rebloom. The one in the photo was purchased. Just couldn't resist. You have my admiration for being able to keep other varieties alive. You've probably seen the "Miss orchid girl" things on YouTube? If not, she talks about how to raise different types. Also has lots of space, maybe a greenhouse. After I reported mine and changed my watering they've done even better. Have fun with yours and lots of blooms.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

Actually I never thought to look on YouTube for such a character.  I will do just that and maybe pick up a few tips; thanks for the reference.  What I eventually realized was the simply finding a good place with eastern (morning ) exposure sun to place them and sticking to a regimen of weekly watering with weak (diluted by 50% of recommended strength) solution worked wonders.  Happy blooms to you.

cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 37 queries.