Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw  (Read 5611 times)

OldeTimeDC

Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« on: March 25, 2021, 01:45:51 AM »

Well Hello...as promised in the welcome thread here is my progress thread of the Frantom Slab Saw I'm currently working on. Please keep in mind I have been restoring machines, tools and mechanical antiques for decades and of course I have my own methods of doing things and in certain orders. I'm not insinuating I know everything and I'm always learning. Although I don't mind suggestions I find some are anxious to help and tend to get ahead of me when I'm creating one of these threads. So I please ask if there's something one wants to point out to me it might be I already am aware so it might be a good idea to take it to PMs so as not to derail the flow of the thread and keep the flow/progress going smoothly......this only a suggestion and questions are always welcome.

This is going to be slow going and I'll post when I have time. First up...pics of the saw on the day of pick-up. I found it sitting outside at a moving estate sale but recognized the maker almost immediately. Upon inspection, not in bad shape for its age so I payed the guy, got a receipt but had to leave it there to pick up later once I got a friend to help me pick it up since it weighted a ton and I was driving a compact SUV.

OldeTimeDC

Re: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 01:57:27 AM »

A couple weeks later....Day of pickup. I got my "go to guy" when he had time to go pick up the saw with his car trailer that he had built a host on it that lifts up to 2000lbs. Man that saw was heavy. Just getting it1/4 way across the lot near enough to the trailer was hard since this estate was on farming property out in the boonies and soft deep sand was everywhere. So here's a couple more pics once we got it near enough to lift it onto the trailer.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 02:32:22 AM »

So once home I proceeded to fully inspect it to see what it was going to need to get it up and running. First I will needed to clean out the dried debris and crud in the tank. Most of it I took a wide putty knife and "shoveled" most of it out with a small dust catcher into a bucket also scrapping the inside to loosen everything up. Also not knowing just what it was inside the tank I took the added precaution of wearing a professional breather to help prevent inhaling anything. The rest I vacuumed up into a shop vac and bagged all that up including the filter...Ill drop all that off at the next Hazard waste faculty they set up locally. I know its probably overkill but it certainly wont hurt. Last I'll wipe the inside with a cloth and mineral spirits.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 03:17:56 AM »

Upon further inspection I could already see the need to replace all bearings and completely disassemble all power feeds, pulleys, inside arbor, carriage and vise. Once removed everything will have to be cleaned of grease, crud and surface rust. Some parts painted to help protect them...that bridge I'll cross once I get to it. First off to remove everything on the outside.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 06:47:55 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread.

We also have an 18" Frantom - the upper right corner of the nameplate is missing. Window is in the top of the lid on ours.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread. We also have an 18" Frantom - the upper right corner of the nameplate is missing. Window is in the top of the lid on ours.

Vince....I think the windows varied depending on the year. Yours might be a later model. I might want to have a short chat with you if its ok. I already have a couple questions I need to ask I found during my initial inspection. I'll PM you.......If anyone else here has this model Frantom I'd like to hear from them especially if they happen to be in my area. I've already found a part broke off under the carriage Id like to get a pattern and pic of I might have to fabricate.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »

The first casualty...taking a step back during unloading of this heavy machine at my place and trying to dolly it to the side of my house it slipped off the dolly and fell over onto the soft dirt right on the main arbor drive pulley......my heart felt numb when this happened....the results from my stupidity...........

...............once I removed it and cleaned it up. Getting it off was not an easy chore. I had to soak the rusted arbor shaft for a couple days with a penetrating oil to safely pull it off with a gear puller. I'll have to source out a new one. An 8" dia x 1" bore cast iron Pulley for a single 4L or A V-belt made by Browning...they of course don't make anymore. I still have to make a few contact calls to see if I can find a new old stock one. I know you guys are going to tell me I can source something close but I'm funny that way when I'm restoring vintage machines. I like to if possible to put it back original and I'm not going to put chinese parts on this machine if I can help it. Don at Pacific Diamond just texted me a pic of one close to it they had....I might have to take it since I've looked everywhere else including the manufacturer, Evilbay, McMaster-Carr , Grainger and several other lg distributors.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

The folks at Cigar Box Rock refurbish old saws and equipment. They fabricate some parts that are no longer available. Their prices are reasonable for what they do, and they are the first people I would get in touch with for vintage or repro parts.

We (Hummingbird Stones) have been happy customers of theirs for over ten years now.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 02:54:40 AM »

Sorry to hear about your mishap. The folks at Cigar Box Rock refurbish old saws and equipment. They fabricate some parts that are no longer available. Their prices are reasonable for what they do, and they are the first people I would get in touch with for vintage or repro parts.

Had already tried them.....have to call back Fri when there's someone there to talk to in charge of their parts archives.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 03:25:40 AM »

Next.....getting off all the rest of the outside operating and power feed parts.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 03:44:46 AM »

Done......I'll pull the idler off later

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:04 AM »

While I was at it, once I removed the Arbor Flange Bearing.....I then removed the entire Arbor and its housing along with the Saw Blade from the interior. Also pulled 1/2 of the Vice and the Tank drain plug.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 05:07:17 AM »

Something I discovered earlier but hadn't mention yet till I could get clear pics of it.......this model Frantom uses an old "tube" style split nut on the vice advance feed. Still in good shape but the handle was broke off....at least it looks broken off. This is one of the reasons to locate someone with the same model saw so I had access to one to compare with and get reference pics and measurements if needed.....assuming that person will cooperate with me. Most likely I'll have to fabricate a new handle....which is all it really needs and assuming it is broken. I have checked with Highland Parks parts thru a guy at Pacific Diamond and their upgrade spit nut assembly doesn't fit this older model saw. They do have a split nut that does in case I need it but I think I can fix this one without going to that extra expense.......doesn't hurt to have back up plans. I still need to call Cigar Box too. This is why I do alot of research way before tackling a machine.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 05:32:56 AM »

A few days ago I took a break from disassembling and thought I'd clean up the outside power feed assembly I had removed. Getting these rusty parts apart without ruining them isn't easy. Lots of hammering with a brass mallet, punches, help from a 12 ton press and some penetrating oil I had them all apart.  didn't care about the pillow blocks since I already found the exact ones to replace them which they still make. Now you ask why do i go to such trouble (if at all possible) trying to find original parts? Simple......I like to bring it back original and most of all...THEY FIT. I could just buy any pillow block that works but this way I don't have to shim or mod anything to make it work. Plus if they lasted over 50 years use they should last another 50 years. Least this works for me and the next owner I hope appreciates the extra trouble I went thru to do it right the first time.                   
Pics posted are before and after disassembling and cleaning up the parts. I also posted a pic of the penetrating oil or "Kroil" I've been trying which seems to work ok but its rather expensive. I usually use Liquid Wrench although I may give PB Blaster a try too.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 06:23:38 AM »

Yesterday I really hurt myself.....tried removing this damn stuck handle from the saw's vice and pulled something in my shoulder...man it hurts. That handle will only turn a very small amount at a time....whats keeping it from turning off is beyond me. I've soaked it with penetrating oil for days....wire brushed off all rust....heated it up with a torch and it still will only budge a little at a time. While using this big-ass pipe wrench to get leverage on the handle to keep from breaking off the cross handles is when I musta pulled too hard and hurt a shoulder muscle or ligament. So as I'm typing this thread my shoulder hurts like hell and every time I try lifting my arm which I can barley lift it hurts too.....I'll have to quit for a few days till it stops hurting and just do more research on the phone and internet or I have other things I could do......think I'll go take some more Tylenol......later folks.

P.S. Please don't go telling me to see a doctor.....I can if I need to but I've hurt myself before this way...it will heal....ow ow ow ow.....
damn @*&$?#?@ rust.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 55 queries.