Rock Art > Carvings and Sculptures

That's all folk, wait for the lavender jade.

(1/3) > >>

Tim:
Flying Shaman.  Astral planing on mushrooms. :icon_rr:

shaman.jpg (186.81 kB . 600x578 - viewed 179 times)
shaman1.jpg (186.97 kB . 600x519 - viewed 219 times)

peruano:
I love them all. Keep up the good work and you are right not everything needs a mirror polish.  Skeletons are not my thing, even tho I live in New Mexico with it's day of the dead art, but all of your figures have great appeal. 

R.U. Sirius:
Thank you for sharing, those are all very interesting. It'd be nice to learn more about the tools you're using, and how you use them.

Tim:
Thank you both for such encouraging comments.  I really appreciate it, especially saying they have appeal, we all want to hear words like that.  Working on this scale is new to me.  I have been carving large pieces of granite and other hard stones for a few years now , with angle grinders and traditional stone masons tools. I will show some examples.  There is a cross over but small scale work ie lapidary is different.  I use quite basic tools.  I have looked all over the net at lapidary tools but they are all far way out of my budget in cost.  I find polishing most difficult with small scale work.  On large work you can get many flexible diamonds discs down to 6000 and away you go.  Hopefully tomorrow when I have time I will show the tools I use most but I'm sure you use the same or even better so it could be interesting. 

Tim:
Here are the tools I use.  I also use a diamond tile saw or large angle grinder to get a piece of stone off the host rock to start the work.  Then it is what you see.  70mm Bosch mini grinder, runs very fast, keep your fingers  clear :thumbsup:.  Bosch, Dremel tool {Bosch own Dremel   :idea1:} batteries fit the grinder too.  The most useful grinder is the Proxxon 50mm grinder fitted with a 50mm Arbotech diamond blade that really cuts but has a 2mm kerf. The long neck gives the ability to almost draw with it. The Proxxon 50mm blade is a thin electro plated thing that is not as aggressive but still useful to have in the tool box for surface smoothing.  Then the world conquering Chinese diamond burs, 2 sets of cheap electro plated ones and a set of more expensive sintered burs which are great.  Some tiny dental burs which I think are also sintered but not sure.  Files of various grit, needle files, polishing pads and a bowl of water to dip the stone in.   :coffee1:

tools1a.jpg (417.93 kB . 1000x698 - viewed 194 times)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version