Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 18 inch Frantom 5/8 split nuts needed  (Read 836 times)

55fossil

18 inch Frantom 5/8 split nuts needed
« on: May 22, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »

HP lapidary is 6 to 8 weeks out to get the 5/8 inch split dog nut inserts. We can blame Covid but this is nothing new!!!  Soooo, does anyone out there have a lead on some of these?   Th At $60 for the pair I may just start making them to sell. on the
    These are the split nuts used on the 18, 20 and 24 inch saws. They are brass threaded inserts held on by 3 screws beneath the carriage.

The part that kills me is HP seems to have a lot of assemblies in stock that have the inserts. They could pull a pair of inserts in a couple minutes and replace them when their new stock comes in..... So, what the *****   I bought these split nuts from them and a lot of other parts not long ago. Maybe a wee bit more customer service would not kill them.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: 18 inch Frantom 5/8 split nuts needed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:23:40 AM »

cigarbox lapdiary?
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 08:47:42 AM »

Can you just braze, redrill and rethread your old ones?
You could do that in an afternoon instead of waiting months.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »

HP called me yesterday in  cold call looking for business. Very unfortunate.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »

I will make some calls on Monday to other parts suppliers such as cigar box.

I am looking at the possibility of adding some material to the old parts and having them re-drilled. While I have a nice welder I am not sure about working with brass. Good thought though.

HP lapidary did respond promptly to my e-mail. I will call them on the phone Monday and see if they will pop a set of the split nuts out of a finished piece. They have a lot of parts with the split nuts in them and show them to be in stock. Hopefully HP will take the extra step...  I will post an update.

thanks for the responses

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »

Since I know on mine the feed dogs don't close completely I was thinking the same thing of re-threading but I think there is enough meat to re-thread at least once before having to braze etc..

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »

My clamps close completely and the split nuts cannot move any closer. I could do the "barn repair" and file off parts of the clamp so it will engage the nuts. I prefer to just replace worn out parts and keep it simple.

Where is my damn EASY button....  Find the part on line, order the part, send money, get new parts.....  arrrrrghhh   Part of the fun of having an old but great saw. But my really nice 24 inch Covington just had the on/off switch go bad and guess what....  At least with the switch I can find a suitable sub and just send money.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 36 queries.