Let's Rock > Rock Talk

Is it still a Bouma sequence if...

(1/2) > >>

AgateLicker:
 Technically speaking, would siltstone/mudstone couplets with shallow argillite top caps to each unit still be Bouma?

The current must not have been sufficient to deposit the A and B layers so only the mellow fine grained sandstone (Bouma C), siltstone graded to mudstone (Bouma D) and finally the fine grained suspended clay particles represented as argillite (Bouma E) are present.

The laminations in these metaseds I've been playing with are superfine, down to mm or less and apparently mid-depth shallow turbidity channels have deposition characteristics that fit what I'm looking at.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw the question out if anyone has an opinion on the matter.

Hope everybody's feeling well and the gardens are all poppin'!

55fossil:
IMOP:   WHAT????   I hope someone has an answer that us lay people will understand. I am just wondering if this has anything to do with pretty rocks we can dig in some way. Geology is cool.  But this needs to drop a notch or two for me to understand. Do tell more.....

AgateLicker:
Okay, I can see how it's just words without an example. Huzzah for me (and Robin's image resizer)- for we now have imagery.

This is a nice little lens from the top of the Upper Wallace fm, Belt Supergroup, Sanders co. MT

I ask because there's a huge amount of contention within the BSG community and maybe my small amount of personal probing can shed some light.

AgateLicker:
Tidal flats get nice little channels that flush sedimentation into deeper water where it is naturally graded into layers (couplets) by the gentle flow. Since my laminations are so fine I'm wondering if the current (hah) system for classifying sedimentation deposition (Bouma sequence) still applies even though only the top three or even two layers are present.

I guess I shouldn't nerd out so hard on you guys, sorry.

55fossil:
Okay, many of us nerds here...  What is the size of the material in the photograph? Is this inches thick, mm thick or is this a huge layer maybe ten feet thick but shrunk down in the photo?
    I was just looking at a very layered piece of Amazonite I acquired. It is about a foot thick and 40 pounds. I am trying to guess at its qualities before I cut it. Much of my deer sky jasper is layered and full of organic matter that acumulated in side pools and eddies back in the Mioceone period. So, I too am curious but looking for details to fill in my lack of knowledge in this area. Do tell, please.....   more specifics so I can nerd on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version