Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copper mineral cabs  (Read 72 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Copper mineral cabs
« on: July 16, 2022, 10:03:47 PM »

I was able to go to the Otteson Turquoise mine on this last trip and spent the day digging in the many dumps.  There was Turquoise everywhere.  I haven't cut any of the material that is spider webbed yet and just cut a couple obvious easy cabs.  The material was varied in color, the first 6 pics are from the Otteson claim, the Green Turquoise I have not polished yet so it still has a buff appearance.

The next 4 pics are Chrysocolla I had found in an old mine adit.  I was exploring the shaft and there was a triangular notch in the floor wall and I bent down to check it out.  The inside was a small cave of solid blue and green walls.  My friend and I were able to pull out 2 6 gallon buckets of the material.  I didn't go back for almost 8 years and when I did there was a new shaft where I had dug the cave.

The last 3 pics are rough material I got from a friend, and the small blue green found in a pile of rough in a yard in oregon.

AgateLicker

Re: Copper mineral cabs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 08:37:24 AM »

Such nice contrast in the first few. Really remarkable how nature puts complimentary contrasts all over the place to be admired.

Is it common to find the green streaks like the second to last example? What a neat characteristic!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »

Short answer is yes.  I am not an expert when it comes to copper minerals.  PhilNM I think is much more knowledgeable.  My knowledge which is so so and not textbook or from a studied understanding is that Malachite is a Copper Phosphate and Chrysocolla is a silicated copper so to speak so as Copper breaks down it forms into many different types and green and blue being the dominant.  It is common to have Malachite and Azurite or Chrysocolla together.  Obviously other factors play in so some mines have much more mixing.  The Royston district of Nevada is famous for its green and blue turquoises quite often mixed together.

AgateLicker

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 10:27:15 AM »

Thanks for the breakdown! Lately mineral 'families' have been on the table for me so the concept of it being such a mutable substance is not surprising. Once I banged into the gem Silica vs. chrysocholla wall I backed off of Copper minerals, as they're not primary around here (def present though, with deposits of chryso and azurite listed on mindat in the next mining district- just across the river).

What a treat for you to be able to browse through the tailings and cherry pick. Also, that cave story gives new meaning to the phrase 'an embarrassment of riches'. How kingly you two must have felt with your little gemmy hoard! Like goblin kings, maybe, but kings nonetheless! Such a shame it was chewed through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.