Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bead drilling the not so old fashioned way  (Read 2473 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Bead drilling the not so old fashioned way
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »

I have my ultrasonic drill all crapped up with about a thousand little granites and pendant preforms as you can see. The pile just seems to grow but I have been getting a lot drilled. I am going to turn this into an introduction to ultrasonic drilling  , at least ultrasonic drilling with this particular machine a Japanese Imahashi. The American machines start at about $ 30,000 and Imahashi's are closer to ten while the rather odd Chinese machines can go for a few thousand and Indian machines even cheaper. You pay for what you get up to a point. I have used the Taiwanese machine as well and I absolutely love the Imahashi. I have strong feelings for the other machine as well but they are not positive.On the left of the photo you can see the electronics package , the power supply, and on the right the drilling portion of the machine. The grit trough and water supply are in between.

Minkos61

Re: Bead drilling the not so old fashioned way
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »

What aa set up NICE !!!!
Ernie

Itsandbits

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »

now that is a production line. All you need is another tray on the right to fill with preforms that will slide down to you one at a time LOL
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »

Back in the day when I was healthy I would drill all night at least once a week. The drilling is interesting enough to me to keep me awake . At times I would drill for almost 12 hours out of 24 stopping to solder new bits on the horns about every 6 to 7 hours. The nice thing about pendants is that an hour of drilling will yield enough preforms for two days of cutting but I miss the variety of beads I used to make so I am reverting to old habits for a number of months. This will have the added benefit of giving Gergis experience with those types of beads as well as providing non expensive pieces of rock for him to practice ultrasonic drilling on and it is a hard won skill that requires patience , understanding and practice.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

i will get me a setup like this one day.
BUT i need a work shop before i can get more lapidary tools.
For now i will stick with a sharpie, bright light and translucent stones to drill with my dremmel in an old gold panning cleanup pan lol!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 32 queries.