Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone use dental drills for inlay and/or carving work?  (Read 1015 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
anyone use dental drills for inlay and/or carving work?
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »

I'm not talking dremel speeds (< 35K rpm) but rather full-on dental drills that do 400K rpm and run off compressed air. Some of the small inlay work I see where shaped stone is set in jet makes me wonder how it's done.

southerly

Re: anyone use dental drills for inlay and/or carving work?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »

auscarver on this forum uses compressed air and high speed hand pieces.

Diamond burs and foredom do the job for me, used to use a dremel but prefer the extra torque. Means I don't do really fine work though.

Debbie (?) on this forum some time back used dental bits and carved exquisite tiny detailed faces, absolutely gifted. Sure the posts are around here somewhere.

David

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: anyone use dental drills for inlay and/or carving work?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »

Somewhere there was a post about how inexpensive air driven dental tools (for teaching) were and that they were appropriate for lapidary work.  My scant research at that time disclosed tools for as little as $35 that could be great carving implements. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 31 queries.