Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, Gardeners!  (Read 571 times)

IDearthwalker

Ok, Gardeners!
« on: May 07, 2022, 04:00:26 AM »

How are the gardens doing?

Just getting started here. Have onions in the ground and planted spuds (northern reds) yesterday. Won't put anything green and growing out until the first or so of next month.
Last Tuesday we had 2" of snow on the ground.
We have more rain coming this weekend and possible snow too.

Have plants out in the green house put will be pulling them in for the weekend and putting them in the garage. High temps are going to be low for several days.

We need the moisture just wish it would warm up a little.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Ok, Gardeners!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »

i want one, but the garden space is loaded with lumber from work they were throwing away. me just buying the house a year ago that i have rented since 99, many many repairs needed.

I got a new carburetor from ebay in the mail friday for my Montgomery Wards 5hp rototiller project i purchased. pulling the carb and tank today probably to clean tank and replace.

IDearthwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 02:05:05 PM »

You're headed in the right direction with getting a house to call your own.
Now you can build your garden the way you want when you get the room and time.
Hit the farmers markets buy in bulk and can what you can.

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:53:32 PM »

Spring is late here on the west slope of the Cascades this year. The wife and I have been consumed with building a home for over a year now and are working on getting the garden together also.
We ran a boutique organic strawberry farm here for years but age and other plans have ended that for the time being.
The peas are up, the onions, leeks, potatoes, beets and lettuce are up and survived the 8" of snow we had a couple weeks ago.
I paused the house project long enough to build her a potting shed a couple months ago and the summer stuff is up and getting ready to plant out. Tomatoes, peppers, lots of kale and greens, all sorts of goodies waiting for the first of June.
They say this will be the year of food shortages and stupid high prices so we have increased our storage capability and have a half of an organic beef coming in a couple of weeks.
Even if the current chaos works itself out, we will be fine for another year... 
Remember, old people know what to do! And rock!!:headbang:

Bill

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 02:56:24 PM »

Oh yeah, we have a huge pocket gopher population here and almost everything has to go in raised beds...

Bill

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 04:41:49 PM »

Wet, cold, no, warm, wet again and still cold... NW Oregon weather.  Peas are up over 6 inches, carrots and some leaf lettuce up too. The beans I planted rotted away from all the cool wet weather. Ground is too cold to put out any other green veggies now. Oh yeah, froze off the early zucchini and replanted last week.
   We have raised beds and only freeze a few peas and berries. Eat fresh out of the garden from June until it burns off or freezes off. We grow a lot of extra for the food bank.
Bill, maybe you should eat some of those darn rodents and save on the beef... they are organic as well!  Wait until they have fed well on fresh greens and are at their peak tastiness. Think Kabobs....  Sure miss those 5 pound moles I had in Idaho, NOT.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 07:29:53 PM »

Rototiller runs SWEET now with a brand new carburetor!!!

I purchased it to tinker with in spare time as a project. I want to level my front and back yard out and get rid of the rolling mounds and ankle spraining holes dogs and wonderful wife (digging dandelions out) made.

IDearthwalker

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 04:44:34 AM »

Pocket gophers are my thing. Trapped them for years until the knees went. Other half has trapped them every spring until this year. He finally sold off all the traps to another younger guy.
Stonemom you need to start trapping them out. They will come up through raised beds with no problems. Do you know if they are the big valley gophers or mountain type gophers?
There is a big difference but both are destructive.

Too cold here to start anything in the garden yet. I did plant onions and started the spuds. We had snow falling here yesterday. Usually don't set anything out before the first of June. We invested in a hoop builder and bought the cloth for frost and wind this year. I can see us putting them up over the spuds in a week or two. That is why here you look for plants that produce in shortest time as possible. We have 4 small greenhouse and one large one. Grow the tomatoes in the biggest old one. Moving peppers into another house we build. Have asparagus in one and harvesting already. Wind is the killer here but can have frost anytime at 5,000 elevation.

Last year went crazy growing a lot of different things just to see if I could. I ran myself to death watering the garden and yard. Tried to start an aspen grove at the end of the property. I ran hoses 225 feet down to them. Then in August got scared of over using the well so hard so shut off the water to the aspens. Don't know if they made it or not? If not not a big thing as we cut the aspens and just stuck them in the ground and watered them.
So not as excited about going as hard this year. Also hard to get excited when it's cold and windy and not very warm so far this spring and not much in the way of water falling from the skies.

IDearthwalker

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 05:47:52 AM »

Have onions coming up. The potatoes haven't shown anything as usual. In one hothouse have lettuce popping up and radishes.
It's been very cool and slightly damp around here.
Now we're having freezing overnight temps the last few days. Really hate to plant my tomato plants then loose them. In the big new greenhouse planted 4 Roma tomatoes yesterday. Might have to plant the other tomatoes and run a heater at night. I have roots coming out of "cowpots" like you wouldn't believe. What we really need is some sun and heat.
All my started plants are wanting out to start spreading.

Fresh snow on the peaks this morning. :icon_tongue: :icon_sunny:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.