Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loose wheel on grinder, need advice.  (Read 1237 times)

DobermanGuy

Loose wheel on grinder, need advice.
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »

Hi all. Ive recenly got a old frantom going and refurbed and have got a diamond wheel that is not too secure. You can twist the wheel by hand ont he shaft. Any advice on what to do here? Ive adjusted and re-tightened the flanges' setscrews / pushed them against the wheel as hard as i can. Maybe some sort of gasket (cardboard or cork)to adhere those 2 surfaces (flange and wheel)??? Any help would be appreciated.  :occasion14:

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Loose wheel on grinder, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »

I just had the reverse issue as Nova wheels are now 1/4 inch wider at the hub.I would just use a few washers on the outside of the flange and unless the wheel is sic  I just use spacers and washers.

DobermanGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »

I just had the reverse issue as Nova wheels are now 1/4 inch wider at the hub.I would just use a few washers on the outside of the flange and unless the wheel is sic  I just use spacers and washers.

Thanks, it does have a lip that is a very small point of contact. So I think that washers would work.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

Shimming is right as long as the wheel still runs true without being eccentric.  Before I retired from my job where I had mills, lathes and every conceivable piece of equipment to use I bought some ABS rod and cut all sorts of widths of Wheels spacers.  I know you can buy some std widths from some of the companies like Diamond Pacific and Kingsley but Like Lithic said, the washers work fine and I used those prior to my custom spacers.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »

Perhaps the flanges are not bearing fully on the wheel or the shaft has a burr in it from a prior set screw mark.

Remove the flanges and run them over some sandpaper on a flat surface. If their mis-shaped you'll soon see the high spots. Also, set screws are suseptible to deformation after use and loose their sharp edge that secures them into the shaft.  When you remove the flanges and wheel, closely examine the shaft for burrs/ruff spots. Sand smooth as needed to make sure the flanges have full movement on the shaft. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 35 queries.