Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with a kiln...ideas?  (Read 4837 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: What to do with a kiln...ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »

I will get on the cooking this week. I worked tearing a giant glass kiln apart years ago. We had to jackhammer 5 feet of solid glass out of the glass tank first. Many pieces looked like those. Incredibly dangerous job from the flying glass shards.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »

I'm in Las Vegas Phil.  This place is on the southwest outskirts of town.  I don't go out there often, but its not hard to make a trip out there.  Its about 40 min from my house, but I live in the far North end of the valley.  You could be there in 15 min from the airport.

Here is a link to their website, although the website really doesn't begin to scratch the surface of what you can find there.
http://www.cactusjoeslasvegas.com/
You could call and ask if they have glass that you are interested in.  I'd be happy to run out and pick it up for you/ship it if they don't offer that service.

I think someone there is a rockhound.  They have some lapidary rough and slabs as well.  The place is worth a visit for anyone who comes to Vegas.  Its a little-known gem here in our Valley.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »

yeah, flying to vegas wouldn't be bad, but trying to get buckets of rocks on the return flight MIGHT be a problem....  :WEEEE:

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »

Mail your rocks home. We get as much as 49 lbs of jade in a large postal service mailer.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »

Judging by the saguaro lamp lights, it's somewhere in Arizona?  Do you get there often?  I'm looking for some opaque that has bright red as the base with yellow and orange swirls.

Seems like I have a piece of slag somewhere that might be like that...  Or it is orange with red swirls...  I'll look for it this weekend.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 06:09:07 PM »

You have a kiln - a very USEFUL tool!
As mentioned there is metal clay of various types, glass slumping and forming, clay beads, clay sculpture, mold burnout...

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 06:24:14 PM »

or figure out how to transfer images to a tile (or 100 tiles)

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

Judging by the saguaro lamp lights, it's somewhere in Arizona?  Do you get there often?  I'm looking for some opaque that has bright red as the base with yellow and orange swirls.

Seems like I have a piece of slag somewhere that might be like that...  Or it is orange with red swirls...  I'll look for it this weekend.

I totally forgot about this...  What a slacker.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 42 queries.